Re: Fimo Decorating Gel

  • Shelley
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2004
      Hi there Amanda and welcome.

      Hmmmm - to be honest I don't know the answer to your question! From
      the playing with fimo gel that I've done it is just that - a gel. It
      tends to flatten out and almost self-levels.

      TLS (translucent liquid sculpey) is thicker than fimo gel, but it
      isn't as clear. But even that levels out, I'm not sure that would
      work for you either.

      You could always experiment and try and thicken it. You could try
      and pour a little gel into a container (egg cup?) cover losely to
      try to keep dust out, but not air tight - ummmmmmm, paper, or a
      cloth maybe? And then just leave it and see if it sets up more
      firmly if it's left for a while. I have absolutely no idea if it
      would work or not, but I have a feeling it would have to go a long
      way to be thick enough to keep it's shape when piped.

      Have you tried any of the translucent clays in a sugar craft gun to
      get out little 'strings' of clay. Or are the translucent clays just
      not transparent enough for you?

      What we really need is a truly transparent clay, but so far that
      seems to be impossible for the chemists to produce.

      Sorry I can't be of more help.

      > What I'd really like
      > to be able to do with it though is to "pipe" it like icing, so it
      stays
      > in a raised pattern. In fact I want to use it as icing on my
      miniature
      > cakes. So the question is, is there any way of thickening Fimo
      gel? I
      > can find lots of info about *thinning* liquid clays, but not
      making them
      > thicker.
      >
      > Regards
      > Amanda
    • falczx
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2004
        Try thickening with mica powders.
        Letting it sit does work. I have some that is a couple of years old and
        holds it shape much better.
        The other thing to try is to hit it with a heat gun right away.
        Valerie
        http://vaharoni.com
        http://www.pbase.com/falczx
        Hmmmm - to be honest I don't know the answer to your question! From
        the playing with fimo gel that I've done it is just that - a gel. It
        tends to flatten out and almost self-levels.

        TLS (translucent liquid sculpey) is thicker than fimo gel, but it
        isn't as clear. But even that levels out, I'm not sure that would
        work for you either.

        You could always experiment and try and thicken it. You could try
        and pour a little gel into a container (egg cup?) cover losely to
        try to keep dust out, but not air tight - ummmmmmm, paper, or a
        cloth maybe? And then just leave it and see if it sets up more
        firmly if it's left for a while. I have absolutely no idea if it
        would work or not, but I have a feeling it would have to go a long
        way to be thick enough to keep it's shape when piped.

        Have you tried any of the translucent clays in a sugar craft gun to
        get out little 'strings' of clay. Or are the translucent clays just
        not transparent enough for you?

        What we really need is a truly transparent clay, but so far that
        seems to be impossible for the chemists to produce.

        Sorry I can't be of more help.

        > What I'd really like
        > to be able to do with it though is to "pipe" it like icing, so it
        stays
        > in a raised pattern. In fact I want to use it as icing on my
        miniature
        > cakes. So the question is, is there any way of thickening Fimo
        gel? I
        > can find lots of info about *thinning* liquid clays, but not
        making them
        > thicker.
        >
        > Regards
        > Amanda

        ---
      • Amanda Griffin
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 18, 2004
          Thanks,

          This afternoon I tried mixing in a little regular fimo to get a squishy
          paste but it was rather lumpy. I don't have a heat gun, but I'll bear
          that in mind in case I do manage to get my hands on one. I'm also going
          to leave some out to stand and see what happens to it.
          I do love the effects I'm getting with this liquid clay though. Wish I'd
          taken the plunge and bought some sooner.

          Amanda

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 18, 2004
            Hi Amanda,

            You said you were drizzling FDG over beads - does that include Accent
            tiny ones?
            I've used all colours of them and have found that the clear ones just
            disappear into the gel - the refractive indices must be similar.

            I know it would make the stuff lumpy but it will be thicker.

            Also, how about a microwave experiment - try zapping the gel for a
            VERY few seconds (have your hand on the off switch at all times -
            just in case!)
            That short time may be enough to thicken, without completely curing
            it. I do know people who have been successful using non-conventional
            baking methods - deep frying, m-waves etc etc - so there are
            precedents.

            If you do try it - please use small quantities, short times and BE
            CAREFUL!

            Good luck

            --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Griffin <ukpolyclay@m...>
            wrote:
            > Hello all,
            >
            > Let me quickly introduce myself before I ask my questions :)
            >
            > My name is Amanda, I'd say I'm still a bit of a newbie with polymer
            > clay, even though I've been using it on and off for a few years
            now. I
            > love making beads and jewellery, but recently I've been mostly
            making
            > miniature food which I've been selling to fund my clay habit.
            >
            > Anyway, onto the question. I've just bought my first pot of liquid
            clay
            > (Fimo decorating gel), and I've been having alot of fun this
            morning
            > drizzling it over beads and making a lot of mess. What I'd really
            like
            > to be able to do with it though is to "pipe" it like icing, so it
            stays
            > in a raised pattern. In fact I want to use it as icing on my
            miniature
            > cakes. So the question is, is there any way of thickening Fimo gel?
            > can find lots of info about *thinning* liquid clays, but not making
            them
            > thicker.
            >
            > Regards
            > Amanda
          • thebluelapis
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2004
              wrote:
              > Thanks,
              >
              > This afternoon I tried mixing in a little regular fimo to get a
              squishy
              > paste but it was rather lumpy. I don't have a heat gun, but I'll
              bear
              > that in mind in case I do manage to get my hands on one. I'm also
              going
              > to leave some out to stand and see what happens to it.
              > I do love the effects I'm getting with this liquid clay though.
              Wish I'd
              > taken the plunge and bought some sooner.
              >
              > Amanda
              >
              > falczx wrote:
              > > Try thickening with mica powders.
              > > Letting it sit does work. I have some that is a couple of years
              old and
              > > holds it shape much better.
              > > The other thing to try is to hit it with a heat gun right away.
              > > Valerie
              > > http://vaharoni.com
              > > http://www.pbase.com/falczx

              sculpey).What I do when I need a thicker paste,is add embossing
              powders(I prefer Pearl-Ex)They come in a variety of colors and
              effects and are easy to find in stores or online.Just add the powder
              a little at a time until desired consistency and color are
              achieved.When applying I find it useful to use a heat gun or blow
              dryer set on hot to spot set it as I go along.You might also try
              placing some in an unwaxed paper cup to try leaching out a little
              plasticizer,the same as putting clay on a sheet of paper if it,s too
              soft.Hope this helps and happy crafting. Jamie