concerning hard clay

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
      Hello,
      Is there not a substance that one can add to hard clay to soften it
      up a little?
      In light,
      Mark
    • Shelley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
        Mark - yes there are a couple of things you can add to hard clay to
        soften it. Mix-quick is one way (by makers of Fimo). It comes in
        block form and you mix it into the clay - can't remember ratios
        etc. I just mix in a bit and a bit more until it feels 'right'.
        There's also sculpey diluent. I mix that with both premo and fimo
        even though it's meant to be (I think) for Sculpey Premo. That comes
        in the form of a liquid and can get very messy. If I use that I bung
        the hard clay (cut up a bit) into a food processor (dedicated to
        clay - it's a mini one) and several drops of the diluent. Zuzzz it
        (technical term) and see how it feels and looks. Sometimes it needs
        a bit more zuzzing or liquid, and sometimes it's not too bad and
        starts clumping a bit. Then just tip it out and work on it until it
        comes together and is soft enough.

        Mostly I get fed up with all that mixing stuff cos it seems like too
        much like hard work and takes time away from what I could be doing -
        claying. So fresh and nice and workable out of the pack is ideal but
        not always possible (I still have tons of old stuff sitting around).