Re: new starter

  • roytanau
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2003
      Donna Wrote:
      > I would like to start using polymer clay as a new hobby in the new
      > year. Is there such a thing as a starter pack? something to try
      > before spending a load of money on tools?

      Hi There Donna,

      Welcome to the mad mad world of polymer claying. Hmmmmmm an
      economical starter pack for you would comprise of...

      Black Clay
      White Clay
      Red Clay
      Yellow Clay
      Blue Clay

      I would suggest you get Sculpey Premo. It's the most beginner
      friendly, is not as brittle and soft as Sculpey III and not as hard
      to work as classic Fimo.

      Now, you can roll it out with any smooth glass jar you have. You can
      combine your colours to make different shades. You must have heaps
      of stuff around your home that you can use for texturing your clay
      e.g. fruit bags, forks, potato mashers.....although most people don't
      like to use anything that will be used in food preparation on their
      clay...just to be on the safe side.

      Now for more free stuff........

      There are many sites on the internet where pictorial demonstrations
      of different techniques are given.

      Try "Polymer Clay Central" for starters......masses of information
      there. You can also just do a search for Polymer Clay Guilds and see
      what goodies they have on their websites. We'll talk again next year
      when you've finished surfing those! *G*

      That should do you for starters....but as you catch the bug, you'll
      be adding more and more items to your repetoire.

      Please bring any questions or calls for help back here and I'm sure
      the list members will be only too happy to help you out.

      Happy New Year

      Tania
      Western Australia
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
        _____> I would like to start using polymer clay as a new hobby in the new
        > year. Is there such a thing as a starter pack? something to try
        > before spending a load of money on tools?

        The alternative to buying separate blocks of Premo as Tania suggested, and
        depending where you are (difficult to get Premo in the UK), is buying a
        starter set of fimo soft. You can get both fimo classic and fimo soft
        starter sets I believe. Although I still use mainly fimo classic, I am very
        careful where I get it and 'test' it first. It can be exceedingly hard if
        not stored correctly or if it is very old. And there is nothing worse than
        hard fimo to put someone off from getting very far with polymer clay. Fimo
        soft is a lot softer and better bet for beginners (but has an odd feel IMO -
        probably because I'm now used to fimo classic). Fimo soft mixed packs come
        with half blocks of clay so you get a nice variety of different colours for
        your money.

        Do follow Tan's advise and take a look at some of the projects that are out
        there, or take a trip to Polymer Clay Central.

        Hope that helps a bit, just holla if ya need any more help.

      • Emma Ralph
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
          HI Shelley

          Actually, the NEW new fimo soft is very nice. Very similar to Premo for
          handling. Doesnt have that chalky, crumble that the old fimo soft had. It is
          soft from the off, but at least with the black and white - not too soft to
          handle (the mica clays I tried WERE too soft, but they were from Staedtler
          as samples and so could have been just too fresh) . And, unlike the classic
          Fimo, no air bubbles either. I dont think the colours are quite as saturated
          as Premo or Fimo Classic though.

          I have only used a few blocks so far of the new fimo soft, but I have really
          liked it. - Yes - ME sticking up for Fimo soft, can you believe it! If you
          can find it, try some of the latest fimo soft - it is very very different. I
          have always loved Fimo classic best, but the new formulation just has too
          many air bubbles for me. Cut that stuff open and it is like a sponge! I am
          finding myself veer more and more towards the soft now. The fimo soft white
          is really the whitest white too. It makes the classic white look yellow.

          Emma

          > The alternative to buying separate blocks of Premo as Tania suggested, and
          > depending where you are (difficult to get Premo in the UK), is buying a
          > starter set of fimo soft. You can get both fimo classic and fimo soft
          > starter sets I believe. Although I still use mainly fimo classic, I am
          very
          > careful where I get it and 'test' it first. It can be exceedingly hard if
          > not stored correctly or if it is very old. And there is nothing worse than
          > hard fimo to put someone off from getting very far with polymer clay. Fimo
          > soft is a lot softer and better bet for beginners (but has an odd feel
          IMO -
          > probably because I'm now used to fimo classic). Fimo soft mixed packs come
          > with half blocks of clay so you get a nice variety of different colours
          for
          > your money.
          >
          > Do follow Tan's advise and take a look at some of the projects that are
          out
          > there, or take a trip to Polymer Clay Central.
          >
          > Hope that helps a bit, just holla if ya need any more help.
          >
          > Shelley
          > www.shelleym.co.uk

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Shelley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2004
            Emma

            I do prefer the new mix of fimo soft to the older stuff. But for me
            it still has an odd 'feel' to it. Also cos I'm so used to working
            with fimo classic and when it's fresh it has that 'just right'
            texture to it (not to hard, not to soft) - fimo soft is too soft -
            I'm very heavy handed and I'll be blowed if I can bother to leach it.

            Mind you saying that I do use them both, and just about any clay
            that's out there. I'll have to take another look at the fimo white
            and fimo soft white. Can't remember off the top of my head what they
            look like!