Hello from Cornwall

  • Bead Sprite
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2003
      Hi there!

      I've been lurking for far too long, so I thought I'd finally say hello! I saw some other posts saying how quiet it's been in here so here's my two penneth!

      I wonder if there are any people in Cornwall on this list? I would love to meet up with other clayers.

      I hardly had time to clay with all the visitors I've had over the summer, so I really am happy that autumn is here and I can finally get down to some serious claying! I'm in the process of getting them posted to my picturetrail account and am also building a website - hope to have that up and running in the next couple of days.

      Coming up with new ideas all the time these past couple of weeks! It's nice to have the time to make my ideas reality at last!

      I wonder if anyone here has an easy-ish way to sand and polish tiny beads? I hardly have any finger-prints left! lol Anyone tried a stone tumbler? How long does it take in one of those? I'd be grateful for any ideas you may have!

      Many thanks!
      Amanda
      http://www.picturetrail.com/amandarose1
      http://www.sculpey.com/projects/Projects_EgyptianChoker.htm

    • Sunni
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2003
        hi amanda! glad you're out of lurking!! i'm sunni, one of the token
        colonials (west coast of the usa). i might have a way to sand small beads
        for you. stab the bead thru the hole with a wooden skewer, making sure it
        fits nice and tight. then take a swatch of sandpaper about half the size of
        a postcard and roll it into a funnel. wet it and keep it wet. insert the
        bead into the funnel and twist the skewer or run it up and down the interior
        against the grain. voila!!

        bead tumblers work quite well. some folks use children's tumblers and line
        the wall with the given grit. then cut up some 3M brand wet/dry sandpaper
        into small postage stamp sizes and drop a handful in. fill with some water,
        toss in your beads and tumble them for a couple hours or so. you might not
        get 3M brand in the UK and europe, so get one sheet of - say - 400 grit in
        several different brands and try them all. there IS a marked difference in
        quality from brand to brand.

        i cruised your project and album sites!! how fun!! nice work and thanks for
        the tour of cornwall. and hug that adorable dog for me, will ya?

        enjoy your claying!!
        Sunni Bergeron
        My Claypages: http://sunnisan.com/crafts/polyclay.html

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2003
          I could kiss you! Thank you so much for sharing that great tip! I have all the grits from 400 right up to 2000 got the finest grades from PCC and the 400 to 800's from PCE. I even got wooden BBQ skewers just a couple of days ago! My DH thought I'd gone mad, seeing as we haven't got a barbecue set! (I have a domestic oven too, but who uses them for cooking when there's claying to be done! Got to get your priorities right! ;o)

          I know your name from PCC delphiforums, definitely and I'm pretty sure I visited your site once or twice (on my way there after I send this for another nose around) ;o)

          My muse is putting a lot of hours in lately and I've created a lot of new designs, now the task of sanding them all, doesn't seem half as daunting any longer :o)

          Thanks again, Sunni!