Craft fairs

  • shelleym@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 1999
      Lori - If you were 'touristing' in Poole, you shoulda said - if you'd time
      we could have met up.

      As to craft fairs - the local papers are a good source. I've started doing a
      fair on a regular basis at Corfe Castle and asked a lot of the other stall
      holders about other craft fairs in the area - that has led me to several
      others.

      It's taking me time to get re-established in this area. I used to live in
      Fleet, Hampshire and it just grew gradually, and I got to know all the local
      craft fairs in the area because I'd already lived there a few years before I
      started doing the craft circuit. Then we all sold up and went to live in
      Canada. Unfortunately it didn't work out, so when I came back to the UK to a
      new area I had to start making jewellery including all the display stuff
      from scratch. I haven't stretched into the field of the more expensive fairs
      yet. The more expensive ones usually insist that you have insurance (which
      you probably should have anyway if you do craft fairs, but I'm only now
      getting around to arranging). If you look in craft magazines a lot of the
      larger fair organisers advertise their venues there.

      This year I'm mostly finding out where the craft fairs are (usually through
      the local papers), then I go along and have a look to see if I think it's
      worth my while, then put my name down with the organisers for them to send
      me the forms etc. for next year. The Lions Club, and Rotary Club's are all
      over the country and often organise events. It may be worth finding out if
      they organise anything in your area (you could probably find a contact
      number for your local ones from the library). I'm trying a new one in
      Swanage next week organised by the local Swanage Lions Club - wish me luck -
      I STILL get nervous before a new venue!

      I've also found schools a good source for craft fairs. Not so much the
      secondary schools, but the primary ones are often well supported by parents
      and more likely to organise craft events for Spring or Xmas. Try contacting
      local schools in September for the Xmas season.

      Hope this helps
      Shelley
      http://homepages.tesco.net/~mcloughlin/shellpag.htm
    • shelleym@tesco.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 1999
        I've been very busy doing loads a craft shows/school fairs. Having just done
        3 in a row over the weekend - Friday eve, all day Sat, and all day Sunday -
        inbetween decorating the dining room as well - I am now in the position
        where I only have one more before Xmas (or 2 if you count an open house
        jewellery party I'm going to do myself at home) I haven't lived in this area
        for very long and I'm still finding out which ones are the best to do - I've
        had some good and some not so good. I think I now have more of an idea which
        ones to do (or not to do) for next year.

        Alison - I had a look at your jewellery in the shared files, it's really
        beautiful - I'd love to know what finiish you used on your pieces -
        pearl-ex?

        What is everyone finding popular this Xmas, colours, items etc? I've found
        mokume gane in any colour is going really well, but otherwise anything in
        purple/lilac or dark blue. And hat pins appear to have come back in fashion
        and are also selling.