Re: Dot every 'I' and cross every 'T'

  • angie scarr
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
      Hi
      I haven't posted on the list for a while. I really think the reason why
      this list is a little quiet is because most of us are so damn busy
      being creative we don't have time even to read the messages, let
      alone to contribute!;-)

      I have a sorry tale to tell which may or may not benefit those
      among us who exhibit in the States.
      I recently went to the US for my third business trip. Exactly the
      same reasons Business/pleasure. Exactly the same paperwork.
      This time I was treated in a humilliating and inhumane way and put
      straight back on a plane home. The final humilliation that our
      passports and papers weren't returned to us until we were in the
      air. Like we were criminals.
      Why? Because, they said, my son who was travelling with me to
      take a well deserved holiday and would help me out on the show
      days, (2 1/2 out of 12) did not have a work permit.
      By the way, none of the half dozen other brits who went to the
      show (on different flights) had work permits.
      Really why?...... I understand now it's called 'Racial Profiling'.
      (previously it had been all white members of my family who
      accompanied me)
      So, Post 9/11 If you're brown or have a moslem sounding middle
      name like my son does, and you want to enter the states, Make
      sure you dot every 'I' and cross every 'T' so you can't be stitched up
      like we were!
      Hugs
      Angie
      #=={o )

      http://www.angiescarr.co.uk
      info@...
    • Sunni
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
        omg. that's AWFUL!! i am SO sorry you had this horrible experience.
        *american here blushing furiously* who would think such a thing! gods. some
        of our own people who are white with english type names support the al queda
        and THEY don't get profiled. how many slip thru because there is racial
        profiling and extra time is wasted harassing innocent people who sound or
        look like mideasterners? ((hug))

        Sunni Bergeron
        My Claypages: http://sunnisan.com/crafts/polyclay.html

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2002
          I hadn't been receiving messages for some reason from here, plus I've
          been mega busy so apologies for not responding to peoples!

          I'm so sorry to hear of your treatment Angie, that really is awful.
          You must have felt like blowing a gasket! I hope you do manage to get
          something done about it - even if it doesn't help your situation,
          perhaps it would help someone else in the future.

          I also did a search for Jon Anderson and came up with this
          http://www.justthat.com/gotoatg/viewGallery.asp?categoryID=24

          Will I be seeing you at polydays next year Angie?