Re: [UKPolyClay] RE: What I'm up to

  • Kim Kennedy
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 18, 2002
      I'll show my ignorance here and ask. What is a quay?
      I've used the word many times in word games but never
      known what it was.
      Does living in a seaside town make me even more
      iggerent?

      Kim

      =====
      <P><A href="mailto:irish.red@...">irish.red@...</A></P>
      <P><A href="mailto:beadyeyedbrat@...">beadyeyedbrat@...</A></P>
      <P>http://www.tlcnet.com/~polyclay/ </P>

      http://faith.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 19, 2002
        I think the difference between a pier and a quay is that a pier sticks out
        into the sea, but a quay runs alongside the water - or at least the one in
        Poole does.

        My dictionary says ' Quay - Solid stationary artifical landing-place usually
        of stone or iron, lying alongside or projecting into water for (un)-loading
        ships.'

        A pier is similar 'solid structure of stone etc. extending into sea or tidal
        river to protect or enclose a harbour. Structure of iron or wood open below
        running out into sea or lake and used as promenade and landing stage.'

        I was curious as to what a Marina was as well, my dictionary says a Marina
        is a pleasure boat harbour.

        http://www.poolequay.com/ - to see Poole Quay! Oh and it's pronounced 'key'

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 19, 2002
          I'm getting confused

          If Poole is the St Tropez of the south coast and Croyden is the
          NewYork of London(according to the Croyden Film Board this week)

          I'm surprised You and Emma still call yourselves English.

          Alan
          (come to Macclesfield, the Chernobyl of Cheshire)

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 21, 2002
            Hey Alan whoever said I call myself English? I'm a mongrel didn't ya know!

            Born here - yes, but father is Greek Cypriot and Mother is of Russian
            parentage, so I'm definitely a weirdy! Common language as I was growing up
            was English. My Russian grandmother lived with us and it was the only
            language my father could communicate with her in - my Mum and Gran would
            speak to each other in Yiddish quite a bit! Weekends we used to have my
            Swiss Aunt, or Austrian Aunt visit us, and French cousins quite often
            (no-one spoke French, they spoke in Yiddish or English!). But although I
            heard, all sorts of languages I only ever learnt English. Now that was more
            than you wanted to know!

          • Mortsbeads@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 21, 2002
              shelleymcloughlin@... writes:

              > Hey Alan whoever said I call myself English? I'm a mongrel didn't ya know!

              LOL Shelley, I am the same as you, half Yemenite, half Russian, I know all
              about the
              Yiddish spoken in our house, it was used so we kids didn't understand what
              the elders were saying, little did they know, we did understand :) So Shelly
              what does that make us? English, British or what :)
              Linda
              <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Atrium/1643/">Morticia's Magical Bead Tour</A>

            • Katherine Dewey <kadewey@elvenwork.com>
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 12, 2003
                That's the best malachite I've seen. Do it in blue for Azurite, and
                try blue/green blends for azurite metamorphising into malachite. I
                think cross cuts of howlite have the same spherical structure.

                Katherine Dewey...a die hard rock hound who's taken more petrology and
                mineralogy classes than art classes.

                http://www.elvenwork.com

              • Alan Vernall <av@dsl.pipex.com>
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 13, 2003
                  Thanks Katherine,

                  Also, someone at another group I belong to suggested the whole
                  palette could be changed to shades of brown and would make a good
                  burl-walnut in clay.

                  Yes - I did a fair bit of rockhounding in my youth - almost got
                  some 'Blue John' fluorite complex from Castleton in Derbyshire - but
                  I was put off by the patrol guards,and large dogs. Doing it this way,
                  in clay is definitely safer!

                  Alan

                  --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Dewey <kadewey@e...>"