thanks Alan!

  • alison.ingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi alan,
      I've been looking at magnetic catches, but they are very pricey, so these look great! I'll certainly be getting some to try out. I didn't know heat affected magnetism...you learn something new every day!

      Thanks,
      Alison Ingham.

    • Sunny
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2002
        Heat doesn't affect magnetism.
        At least not the type temperatures we're talking about with clay.
        Now, molten rock temperatures, and forges hot enough to melt metal and rearrange the orientation of the molecules, yes.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2002
          Sunny - please read the section on sub-Curie Point heating of magnets
          here...

          http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/magfaq.html

          to quote...

          <<How does temperature affect the behavior of a permanent magnet?

          Ferromagnetic materials heated above a certain temperature, known as
          the Curie Temperature or Curie point, completely lose their
          ferromagnetic behavior. The magnetic domains within the magnet are
          actually generated when the material cools below the Curie point. The
          Curie temperature for Neodymium magnets is roughly 590 F.
          Actually, the ferromagnetic properties of a material can change for
          temperatures well below the Curie temperature. Neodymium magnets, for
          example, begin to lose their magnetization at temperatures as low as
          300 F. >>

          Because of their small size, I'd be prepared to bet that the Maplin
          devices are Neodymium alloy magnets

          Best not to heat them - just to be sure!

          Alan

          --- In UKPolyClay@y..., "Sunny" <wooden-u-know@e...> wrote:
          > Heat doesn't affect magnetism.
          > At least not the type temperatures we're talking about with clay.
          > Now, molten rock temperatures, and forges hot enough to melt metal
          and rearrange the orientation of the molecules, yes.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Sunny
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2002
            Ok!
            You win! :)
            I didn't think magnets were THAT unstable. No wonder the North Pole moves around so much...it gets too warm geothermicly sometimes
            under that ice cap. ;)
            Thanks for the info.
            :)

            Sunny - please read the section on sub-Curie Point heating of magnets
            here...

            http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/magfaq.html

            to quote...

            <<How does temperature affect the behavior of a permanent magnet?

            Ferromagnetic materials heated above a certain temperature, known as
            the Curie Temperature or Curie point, completely lose their
            ferromagnetic behavior. The magnetic domains within the magnet are
            actually generated when the material cools below the Curie point. The
            Curie temperature for Neodymium magnets is roughly 590 F.
            Actually, the ferromagnetic properties of a material can change for
            temperatures well below the Curie temperature. Neodymium magnets, for
            example, begin to lose their magnetization at temperatures as low as
            300 F. >>

            Because of their small size, I'd be prepared to bet that the Maplin
            devices are Neodymium alloy magnets

            Best not to heat them - just to be sure!

            Alan

            --- In UKPolyClay@y..., "Sunny" <wooden-u-know@e...> wrote:
            > Heat doesn't affect magnetism.
            > At least not the type temperatures we're talking about with clay.
            > Now, molten rock temperatures, and forges hot enough to melt metal
            and rearrange the orientation of the molecules, yes.

          • roytanau
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2002
              --- In UKPolyClay@y..., "alison.ingham" <alison.ingham@n...> wrote:
              > Hi alan,
              > I've been looking at magnetic catches, but they are very pricey, so
              these look great! I'll certainly be getting some to try out. I didn't
              know heat affected magnetism...you learn something new every day!

              > Thanks,
              > Alison Ingham.

              And don't drop them too much either Alison....that action these
              little buggers find REAALLY charming! But...you can drop them many
              times....and only heat them once for the same nil,null,void effect!

              Tania