System over heating

  • LENORA B SMITH
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2002
      my poor tomato plants are in great need of a little sunshine - the
      problem is that my PC shuts down when it gets too hot!

      Hi Alan,

      Hope your tomato plants get some sunshine soon, it would be a shame for them to die from too much water.

      On another subject: I have a six month old HP pavilion, with all the bells and whistles and if I use the crescent shape on the keyboard to put it on standby it overheat.

      If I just turn the monitor off and let the system go into the rest mode that it do itself without putting it on standby it is alright.

      The case was so hot the last time I was afraid it might be a fire hazard, and it was a couple of hours before I could start it up again.

      HP, has no toll free numbers to call for help, and asking questions at the web site is impossible.
      This is the last one of their products I will buy for this reason, I think there should be some customer service after the sale.

      lenora

    • alanjamesv
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2002
        Hi again Lenora,
        (Lenora's the Editor of the Houston Guild's Newsletter, folks)

        The plants are safely in my greenhouse - so no fear of their
        drowning! They just need heat and light - but this IS England - so
        they don't expect much in the way of sunshine.

        Your overheating problem sounds a great deal worse than mine - a
        couple of very cheap PCI-slot snail-fans helped no end.

        Say what you like about HP machines - but they do make exceedingly
        good T-shirt paper for clay transfers (best I've tried)

        I hope you resolve the problem soon and with as little spending as
        possible!(with so young a machine, they should help surely)

        Alan

        --- In UKPolyClay@y..., "LENORA B SMITH" <LBS337@m...> wrote:
        > my poor tomato plants are in great need of a little sunshine - the
        > problem is that my PC shuts down when it gets too hot!
        >
        > Hi Alan,
        >
        > Hope your tomato plants get some sunshine soon, it would be a shame
        for them to die from too much water.

        > On another subject: I have a six month old HP pavilion, with all
        the bells and whistles and if I use the crescent shape on the
        keyboard to put it on standby it overheat.

        > If I just turn the monitor off and let the system go into the rest
        mode that it do itself without putting it on standby it is alright.

        > The case was so hot the last time I was afraid it might be a fire
        hazard, and it was a couple of hours before I could start it up again.

        > HP, has no toll free numbers to call for help, and asking questions
        at the web site is impossible.
        > This is the last one of their products I will buy for this reason,
        I think there should be some customer service after the sale.

        > lenora

      • roytanau
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2002

          > On another subject: I have a six month old HP pavilion, with all
          the bells and whistles and if I use the crescent shape on the
          keyboard to put it on standby it overheat.

          > lenora

          Hi Lenora.....I too have a HP Pavillion and it does not overheat,
          even though it's about 2 years old and we live in Australia. Mind
          you....the rotten standby option died on us about six months into
          purchase and we've not been fussed about finding out why. Our PC
          tower stands away from every other impediment by at least eight
          inches so I guess there is decent airflow....and we live in a
          mudbrick cottage, which is usually fairly cool even in summer.

          I think you bought a dud.....that's me at my helpful best! (If I
          can't help...I'll validate and sympathise)

          Tania
        • LENORA B SMITH
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2002
            I think you bought a dud.....that's me at my helpful best! (If I
            can't help...I'll validate and sympathise)

            Hi Tania,

            I think that it is a system flaw also in the standby mode, since if I just walk away and allow it to power down on it's own everything is normal.

            I have enough clearance for the fan to get air the way it is set up, and most of the time it is in the air conditioning. This is the third system that has been on this desk and the first one to get hot and overheat and shut down.

            When I replace this one it will not be with another HP, and they have bought our local good computer company Compaq, so I will be looking at a Dell, or Gateway.

            lenora