Re: [UKPolyClay] Re: Future equivalent

  • Emma Ralph
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1 11:49 PM
      HI Shelley,
      I use it a lot. I thought it was the same stuff though, I am sure I heard
      that someone had checked with the manufacturers about that.
      I dont think Klear smells that bad, but then I dont have a good sense of
      smell and I have nothing to compare it to.
      Emma
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2 1:06 AM
        Hiya Emma

        I don't know how you can think that stuff doesn't smell too bad!! But
        then as you said you haven't been able to compare it with Future. I
        was expecting a future type smell when I took a deep sniff from the
        bottle and it nearly knocked me out!!

        I will have to try it out then and hope the smell disappears!

        --- In UKPolyClay@y..., "Emma Ralph" <eralph@b...> wrote:
        > HI Shelley,
        > I use it a lot. I thought it was the same stuff though, I am sure I
        heard
        > that someone had checked with the manufacturers about that.
        > I dont think Klear smells that bad, but then I dont have a good
        sense of
        > smell and I have nothing to compare it to.
        > Emma
      • Emma Ralph
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2 1:27 AM
          Well Shelley,
          I have heard about housewives like you.. "I was only smelling it to compare
          it to the Future smell.. honest!"

          I see we will have to keep an eye on you!

          ;-) Emma x
          > I don't know how you can think that stuff doesn't smell too bad!! But
          > then as you said you haven't been able to compare it with Future. I
          > was expecting a future type smell when I took a deep sniff from the
          > bottle and it nearly knocked me out!!
          >
          > I will have to try it out then and hope the smell disappears!
          >
          > Shelley
          > www.shelleym.co.uk
          >

          > --- In UKPolyClay@y..., "Emma Ralph" <eralph@b...> wrote:
          > > HI Shelley,
          > > I use it a lot. I thought it was the same stuff though, I am sure I
          > heard
          > > that someone had checked with the manufacturers about that.
          > > I dont think Klear smells that bad, but then I dont have a good
          > sense of
          > > smell and I have nothing to compare it to.
          > > Emma

        • PoRRo
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2 5:32 AM
            From: "Emma Ralph" <eralph@...>

            >I am sure I heard
            > that someone had checked with the manufacturers about that.

            Emma,

            It was me. It is basically same stuff with little different smelling items.
            The company making J&J Klar (clear or Klear) is binded by company ties to
            the company making Future. It was cheked on J & J ´s Enland base that knows
            the recipes for everything and they gave their blessings. Have tried, it
            works. Even in long run. Better applied to warm polyclay.

            PöRRö

            ***********************************
            The house of the rising PoRRo
            http://www.saunalahti.fi/theporro/
            Polymerclay gallery. Koruja, nappeja, taidetta
          • Emma Ralph
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2 6:57 AM
              HI Porro,
              I had a gut feeling it was you who told me that, but wasnt quite sure!
              I have used Klear for ages and it is great stuff IMO.

              Emma x

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2 12:23 PM
                Hiya Sue & Porro

                I thought it was Sue that had said ages back that Klear was the same as
                Future but didn't remember it was Porro that followed it through with
                contacting the manufacturer. Anyway at that time I had future and had no
                reason to try the Klear. But curiosity got the better of me the other day -
                plus dwindling supplies of future and the fact I'd already recommended Klear
                to Alan - so I thought I should at least try it out as well. Well they do
                say curiosity killed the cat, and that smell really knocked me sideways! Why
                on earth do they think Europeans like fragranced ammonia?

                I take it Sue, that when you tried it out it didn't have that awful smell.
                Believe me you would have noticed it! I did try it today and it seemed to
                work fine - went on exactly the same as Future. Having the window open
                helped too *grin* The smell did seem to dissipate after a while, either that
                or I got used to it! Either way I didn't pass out from the fumes.

                >>>Tut tut,, you haven't been reading your Polynews - or perhaps it was
                before you joined. I have done extensive tests on Klear - about 3 years
                ago (I think). It did all the things for me that Future does - although
                a tad not quite as shiny, but I preferred that. The only difference is
                the smell - apparently for European noses... Porro also checked it out
                fully and got in touch with Johnson's and was told it is identical
                formula to Future. My tests are still fine after all this time.

                But do test it yourself and let us have your opinions. I am worried
                about the fragranced ammonia smell - perhaps they have now changed it?>>>>
              • Petra
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2 12:33 PM
                  Hi there all
                  I remeber that Sue. It made me go check with Johnson and Johnson downunder to
                  make sure our Klear was the same and sure enough it is. So for all of us in the
                  PC community outside of the US and away from the "Future" supplies we can safely
                  say it works fine.
                  This is how I use mine.
                  I like to sand and buff my item first. 600 grit, 800 grit, 1200 grit. Then I
                  buff and coat with Klear.
                  Once thats dry I return to the buffing wheel and very lightly buff again. The
                  reason being (not that I ever polish floors) but I figure if you put floor polish
                  on the floor and then buff it for a high sheen then why not buff again. So I buff
                  lightly for a second time and then add a final coat of Klear.
                  This gives me a wonderful high shine and I love it.
                  Cheers to all
                  Petra in New Zealand
                  petra@...
                  Zigzag Polymer Clay Supplies