Re: Digest Number 40

  • Arthur
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 1999
      -----Original Message-----
      From: UKPolyClay@onelist.com <UKPolyClay@onelist.com>
      To: UKPolyClay@onelist.com <UKPolyClay@onelist.com>
      Date: 01 July 1999 05:06
      Subject: [UKPolyClay] Digest Number 40

      >Looking for a new hobby? Want to make a new friend?
      >http://www.onelist.com
      >Come join one of 180,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!

      >There are 6 messages in this issue.
      >
      >Topics in today's digest:
      >
      > 1. Polyday in Gloucestershire
      > From: Lori Dawn Horb <bsslh@...>
      > 2. Re: Kia's site
      > From: The Crafty Owl <craftyowl@...>
      > 3. Buttons
      > From: Margaret Reid <mfhreid@...>
      > 4. writing about polyclay...
      > From: Sue Heaser <sue@...>
      > 5. Re: Kia's site
      > From: Jenny Dowde <jdesigns@...>
      > 6. Re: writing about polyclay...
      > From: "Candida Woolhouse" <candida@...>

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:09:05 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
      > From: Lori Dawn Horb <bsslh@...>
      >Subject: Polyday in Gloucestershire
      >

      >Hello Alison-
      >
      >I would like to go to that Polyday in October and it looks
      >pretty good so far with my schedule - so you can count me
      >in! ANy one else interested so far?
      >
      >Lori

      >Message: 2
      > Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:43:45 +0100
      > From: The Crafty Owl <craftyowl@...>
      >Subject: Re: Kia's site
      >
      >In message <Version.32.19990629202757.00e0c750@...>, "Kia
      >S.G." <ksg@...> writes
      >>Someone else on the list making buttons?
      >
      >I make buttons sometimes - when I need some - but mostly I make ones
      >with a shank on the back, not with holes. When I do holes, though, I use
      >a tiny circle cutter to make them, because it gives a better edge than
      >just poking something through the clay. I made the cutter from the end
      >of a narrow piece of metal tube!
      >
      >When I do shank buttons, the shank is either clay smoothed on well, or a
      >loop of wire put into a cut in the soft clay and then the edges of the
      >clay smoothed over it to join. After baking, that's really strong.
      > ___
      > <*,*>
      > {'-'} The Crafty Owl
      > -"-"-

      >Message: 3
      > Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:52:22 +0100
      > From: Margaret Reid <mfhreid@...>
      >Subject: Buttons
      >
      ><<Someone else on the list making buttons?>>
      >
      >Yes, more than I can count! Some are up on my slightly outdated website
      >at http://members.aol.com/polyopoly/ I'm working on a new version,
      >which will be much the same just organised differently.
      >
      >Thanks for posting your turquoise directions, Kia. Anyone else have a
      >favorite faux technique they'd like to share?
      >
      >Margaret

      >Message: 4
      > Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:52:30 +0100
      > From: Sue Heaser <sue@...>
      >Subject: writing about polyclay...
      >
      >In message <930743804.743@onelist.com>, UKPolyClay@onelist.com writes
      >>I was wondering, (well, being nosey really) Sue Heaser - how did you get into
> [...]

      I'm also hoping to go to the day in Gloucester, I'm waiting to hear more details from Alison.

      Sue recently got me a video from the US of Gwen Gibson's Ancient Images and I'm starting to work my way through it. I need photocopied images. I'm finding it really hard to pick something and just get it copied - I've spent hours looking through all my books and getting totally distracted. I think this is a way of putting off actually starting, but I don't know why I always do this.

      Has anyone else had a go at this, or used ideas from a book? I have Creating with Polymer Clay by Steven Ford and Leslie Dierks through Amazon Books and New Ways with Polymer Clay by Kris Richards. I'm also tempted to cover a biro with caning but will then have to spend several weeks putting this off while I find the right biro!

      Silvia