Re: Kia's site

  • Jenny Dowde
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 1999
      "Kia S.G." wrote:

      > This weekend I will try to make some buttons. I've been told (Hi Eva! :)
      > that this is a must as I knit a lot and need buttons for most of the things
      > I make. Someone else on the list making buttons?

      Yes Kia...I do...as I assume heaps of other clayers do. They are great fun and
      I find making them kinda therapeutic...and they sell pretty well too<G>..if you
      can find the "right" outlet....one where fibre artists might hang out for
      instance. The most often heard comment from textilers is "I can't find the
      "right" button"! A fact which you as a knitter, are probably well aware of.
      If you are keen to try selling, you can also offer a 'swatch' service, where
      people will send you scraps of yarn/fabric for you to use as a colour/design
      guide...

      Jenny
    • Kia S.G.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
        At 18:43 1999-06-30 +0100, you wrote:
        >From: The Crafty Owl <craftyowl@...>

        >I make buttons sometimes - when I need some - but mostly I make ones
        >with a shank on the back, not with holes. When I do holes, though, I use
        >a tiny circle cutter to make them, because it gives a better edge than
        >just poking something through the clay. I made the cutter from the end
        >of a narrow piece of metal tube!
        >
        >When I do shank buttons, the shank is either clay smoothed on well, or a
        >loop of wire put into a cut in the soft clay and then the edges of the
        >clay smoothed over it to join. After baking, that's really strong.
        > ___
        > <*,*>
        > {'-'} The Crafty Owl
        > -"-"-

        Thanks for the advice! Especially about how to make the holes. Have to
        start with this kind of buttons, as I've not yet found someone who sells
        shanks here. Hopefully I will find something in September, at a craft fair
        held here in Stockholm.

        / Kia

        -------

      • Kia S.G.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
          At 10:48 1999-07-01 +1000, you wrote:
          >From: Jenny Dowde <jdesigns@...>

          >The most often heard comment from textilers is "I can't find the
          >"right" button"! A fact which you as a knitter, are probably well aware of.

          I've been searching for just the right buttons many times but must admit
          that I seldom find what I'm looking for. Most shops I've been to only sell
          really plain buttons. Colours may vary but they are mostly the same shapes.
          Multi-coloured buttons or buttons with motifs are particularly hard to
          find. And when you do it's often the wrong colour combination or shade for
          that special thing you just made.

          >If you are keen to try selling, you can also offer a 'swatch' service, where
          >people will send you scraps of yarn/fabric for you to use as a colour/design
          >guide...
          >Jenny

          If I'm successful in my attempts of making buttons I might just consider
          mentioning it for a very good friend of mine (who also happens to be my
          favourite yarn dealer :) Having a "swatch"-service is really a nice idea.
          Thanks for the tip!

          / Kia
        • Jenny Dowde
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 1999
            "Kia S.G." wrote:

            > If I'm successful in my attempts of making buttons I might just consider
            > mentioning it for a very good friend of mine (who also happens to be my
            > favourite yarn dealer :) Having a "swatch"-service is really a nice idea.
            > Thanks for the tip!

            A yarn dealer friend???? Lucky you<G>...this is just the right kind of outlet
            for you to try your buttons. And of course you will be successful...buttons are
            easy and unless you want to make very complex patterned ones, reasonably quick.
            Just sit and play and let the Muse take over<g>....you'll find that one idea will
            quickly lead to another and before you know it you'll have buttons galore!
            Re making holes...I make mine with a corn cob fork or holder...the prongs are
            just the right distance apart. Once baked, I drill them through with a drill
            bit.... usually while watching telly........or I get hubby to do that while I
            sew them onto cards (I use corrugated cardboard for that btw).
            Some corn cob holders here in OZ have one prong offset (sitting higher) which
            would make things a little difficult....so if you go looking, just be aware of
            that.

            Good luck with your buttons, and let's see some results soon<G>!

            Jenny
          • Margaret Reid
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 1999
              Nice buttons, Kia! How did you do the white one with the multi-coloured
              ovals? And what brand is that silver clay used for clothing on the
              torsos?

              Margaret

              --
              Visit the British Guild's website!
              http://www.heaser.demon.co.uk/polyclay/guild/britpol.htm
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 1999
                >From: Margaret Reid <mfhreid@...>
                >Nice buttons, Kia! How did you do the white one with the multi-coloured
                >ovals? And what brand is that silver clay used for clothing on the
                >torsos?
                >Margaret

                Thanks!
                The multi-coloured button is made of white cernit and TLS coloured with
                oilpaint. Just recently got some TLS and had to try it on something :). I
                just poked some holes and filled them using a toothpick. The silver clay is
                SculpeyIII mixed with a little silver Cernit for strength and a little
                black to make it somewhat darker. The light from the flash taking the
                close-ups makes it look brighter than it really is.

                / Kia