2272Re: Oven type

    Jul 5, 2006
      Hi Jacqui,

      Lots of people have used gas ovens to bake their polyclay, with no
      problems at all.

      I've just checked GlassAttic and as far as I can see, very little is
      mentioned regarding any gas/electrical baking differences.

      The only small proviso I'd mention is that, as the heat is almost
      certain to originate from the lower part of the oven (unless it has a
      grill-type burner in the oven top too) so, it may be necessary to
      protect the underside of the pieces from excessive heat directly from
      the burners.

      If you/your daughter puts the bears on something like a thick glazed
      tile or an oven-proof dish for baking (anything to deflect and ballast
      the radiant heat from the flames), they shouldn't get browned bear
      behinds!

      Alan

      --- In UKPolyClay@yahoogroups.com, "Jacqui" <barmycreator@...> wrote:

      > Do any of you use a gas oven to bake clay? Although I have not yet
      > done any clay work, as I am still waiting for my dh to reconnect our
      > older cooker which was to be removed for additional cupboard space, I
      > have got my daughter hooked on clay.I told her she had to look at my
      > excellant book about polymer clay jewellery, while on a brief
      > infrequent visit home, and has gone back to her own flat determined
      > start with some teddy bears. Her oven is gas, so I have tried to find
      > info which mentions gas ovens, however all seem to imply electic,
      > therefore I am concerned that it may be dangerous to bake in an oven
      > with actual flames. If so I will advise her to wait and get a small
      > toaster oven. I hope someone is able to answer my question soon,
      > because I think she is now so keen to start I will need to warn her
      > before any problems occur. Jacqui

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic