Identification request

  • Nick Montegriffo
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2012
      I wonder if anybody could shed any light on the following:

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4CkAUGJAZls4c0oi1ZK1BEyMABxkWcXrRXERf6pafsuQyrHaKuRL6EOD8VSOQ8lvaHxdSuZ_E4Jayq8CBHDXAiCD-XeHMV-Q_y98G5ljVmSnYYjvovjpSUStqEqR4FBVYnQ/Identification%20needed/IMG_6974.JPG

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4CkAUKUZfFI4c0oimWsmuyQKfCh3yVcVOgCDVvL2ug_voEoTVn9HNff9IVABJ1sVrSRD3wISOPZl8D2hkb8fYP_XWMhq2VNzgAtjdD9VgtZEE2pe1sA7L8U3zlYJvnIYkMQ/Identification%20needed/IMG_6976.JPG

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4CkAUFm-YxY4c0oiadTWPfnpW5YRF4TogyIv5C54uiuVSIoAwAlqKUkErAz8Fdu0_rustoXsMVUcE4zggMwxtQyejCCKPYzNRKmN-GzrWwb9lPqfP1togcNlKja3akVxePg/Identification%20needed/IMG_6977.JPG

      The photos are in the "Identification Needed" folder under "Files", in case the links don't work.

      Three views of the same plant, found on Abbey Farm, Tresco, last October. In full flower, quite a large, but floppy plant, about 1m in total length, with several flowering stems. In an area of rough ground, much disturbed after the building of a tennis court. The same area had much Nicandra physalodes in 2009.

      Thanks for your help,
      Nick

    • Sarah Stille
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2012
        Difficult to be sure without seeing the whole plant, but it might be
        Guizotia abyssinica which is sold as bird feed as "Niger seed" and so
        appears at times on lawns and in gardens.

        Sarah Stille

        BSBI Joint Vice-county Recorder

        VC 48 Merioneth

      • Nick Montegriffo
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 14, 2012
          Hi Sarah

          Thanks for your reply and sorry that the photos do not show the whole plant. I don't think the involucre is quite right for Guizotia, though, also the ray florets seem to be too narrow (judging by photos on the Internet).

          Nick

          Difficult to be sure without seeing the whole plant, but it might be
          Guizotia abyssinica which is sold as bird feed as "Niger seed" and so
          appears at times on lawns and in gardens.

          Sarah Stille

          BSBI Joint Vice-county Recorder

          VC 48 Merioneth

          No virus found in this message.

        • Geoff 21
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 14, 2012
            Hi Nick,

            it doesn't appear to be G. abyssinica but that might be the genus, by the look of it.

            Geoff

            --- In UKBotany@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Montegriffo" <nicholas.montegriffo@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sarah
            >
            > Thanks for your reply and sorry that the photos do not show the whole plant. I don't think the involucre is quite right for Guizotia, though, also the ray florets seem to be too narrow (judging by photos on the Internet).
            >
            > Nick

          • Rodney Burton
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 14, 2012
              I don't know what it is, but it's not Guizotia which has opposite leaves and
              axillary flowers. Rodney

              _____

              --- In UKBotany@yahoogroups.com <mailto:UKBotany%40yahoogroups.com> , "Nick
              Montegriffo" <nicholas.montegriffo@...> wrote:

              > Hi Sarah
              >
              > Thanks for your reply and sorry that the photos do not show the whole
              plant. I don't think the involucre is quite right for Guizotia, though, also
              the ray florets seem to be too narrow (judging by photos on the Internet).

              > Nick

            • dave_aphoto
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 14, 2012
                Looks very much like a Senecio to me. Have just checked the Senecio species list for the Scillies on ERICA and have just drawn a complete blank. I think the best thing to do is send the images to Rosemary Parslow along with information where it was found and see if she knows what it is. rparslow@...

                Best Wishes,
                Dave
              • Nick Montegriffo
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 14, 2012
                  Hi Dave,

                  Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for looking through Erica. I had already contacted Rosemary, but she did not recognise the species. I agree that it may well be a Senecio.

                  Nick

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 15, 2012
                    Nick, Dave, It's not a Senecio either - the phyllaries (involucral bracts)
                    are clearly not all in one row. My second thought was a Solidago with
                    unusually large flowers.

                    Presumably it's wind-sown from the Abbey Gardens. Could you find a contact
                    from the Gardens staff? Rodney

                    _____

                    Looks very much like a Senecio to me. Have just checked the Senecio species
                    list for the Scillies on ERICA and have just drawn a complete blank. I think
                    the best thing to do is send the images to Rosemary Parslow along with
                    information where it was found and see if she knows what it is.
                    rparslow@... <mailto:rparslow%40cix.co.uk>

                    Best Wishes,
                    Dave

                  • Nick Montegriffo
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 15, 2012
                      Rodney, Thanks for the suggestion - I have sent a copy of the photos to the Garden Curator at the Abbey Gardens and will report back if I get a reply.

                      Nick