Child(l)ing pink

  • Sarah Longrigg
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
      I was most interested by Andy Horton's references to this plant,
      both in regards to flower books that include it and his reference to
      its presence on the beach at Shoreham-by-Sea.

      A couple of years ago I went to visit an aunt (uninterested in botany
      or conservation) who lives on the coast a good few miles west of
      Shoreham. We went for a walk on the beach and I noticed these strange
      flowers (which I did not mention to my aunt!). I later identified
      them as Child(l)ing pink, and I read somewhere, I forget where, that
      the location where I found them was one of only two sites in Britain.
      This gave me an interest in this plant.

      What now baffles me is its accurate name. Andy Horton and BMLSS give
      this as "Childing Pink, Petrorhagia nanteuilii". I have
      consulted flower books I have in my possession and have come up with
      an unbelievable number of variants as follows:

      1955 M/F Childling Kohlrauschia prolifera
      1965 KM - P. nanteuilii / Kohlrauschia prolifera etc
      1974 FFB Childling P. nanteulii / nanteullii
      1978 F atlas - P. prolifera
      1981 Rose Childling Kohlrauschia (P.) nanteulii
      1983 GS Childling P. nanteuilii / nanteulii
      1989 B/GW Childing P. nanteulii

      Thus we have childling/childing and nanteulii/ nanteuilii/ nanteullii
      Is it possible to know which of all these variants is correct? It
      seems to me that typing errors have probably become accepted through
      repetition. I assume that Kohlrauschia is an older name and that the
      separation from K./P./ prolifera is rather recent? It is a separate
      species in more recent sources.

      Also, what is the correct pronunciation? child -(l)ing (as in young
      child) or chilled-(l)ing?

      List of books referred to above:
      1955 - McClintock & Fitter - Collins pocket guide to wild flowers
      1965 - Keeble Martin - Concise British flora in colour
      1974 - Fitter/Fitter/Blamey - Wild flowers of Britain & Northern
      Europe
      1978 - Fitter - Atlas of wild flowers of Britain & Northern Europe
      1981 - Rose - Wild flower key, British Isles & North West Europe
      1983 - Garrard & Streeter - Wild Flowers of the British Isles
      1989 - Blamey/Grey Wilson - Illustrated flora of Britain & Northern
      Europe

      Sarah Longrigg
    • squirrel@care4free.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        At Pagham Harbour we have the largest colony of Childing Pink - it is
        prolific on the shingle on both sides of the harbour entrance
        (although, please note that the Church Norton spit has no access
        during the summer because of the breeding birds there.) I became
        aware of a name change about 2 years ago. Up until then, we certainly
        called it ChildLing Pink but I was picked up on this by our
        Scientific Steering Committee! I don't dabble with scientific names,
        so won't attempt to say which of those is accurate! As to
        pronunication, we say CHILDing (as in young child), but perhaps there
        may be a regional variation on this.

        Sarah Patton - Warden, Pagham Harbour LNR.