Unknown Allium

  • Darrel Watts
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
      It looks like Allium oleraceum to me.
      It could be A. roseum, but I don't think the tepals are long enough. A.
      carinatum is pink, and quite small flowered but has long 'wispy' stamens,
      and I have never seen a plant of A. vineale with flowers that pink, this
      also looks like the tepals are too long.

      cheers Darrel

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In UKBotany@y..., "Darrel Watts" <d.watts@b...> wrote:
        > It looks like Allium oleraceum to me.
        > It could be A. roseum, but I don't think the tepals are long
        enough. A.
        > carinatum is pink, and quite small flowered but has long 'wispy'
        stamens,
        > and I have never seen a plant of A. vineale with flowers that pink,
        this
        > also looks like the tepals are too long.
        >
        > cheers Darrel

        Thanks for all the replies. Allium oleraceum has been recorded in a
        road verge not very far away. I also think it to be this plant but
        will examine it more closely.
        Peter
      • Storey, M.W.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
          Darrel Watts wrote:

          > It looks like Allium oleraceum to me.
          > It could be A. roseum, but I don't think the tepals are long enough. A.
          > carinatum is pink, and quite small flowered but has long 'wispy' stamens,
          > and I have never seen a plant of A. vineale with flowers that pink, this
          > also looks like the tepals are too long.

          Looks like the one we have in our garden which
          I think I decided was Allium neapolitanum.
          Malcolm Storey
        • Rodney Burton
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2002
            I have had all the Alliums mentioned except A. vineale and A. neapolitanum
            (which I think always has pure white flowers) in the garden in Kent at one
            time or another.

            Touch wood, I have got rid of A. roseum this year - its flowering is much
            too early for this species to be a candidate. Conversely A. carinatum is
            still with me, and is not yet in flower. A. oleraceum is the best bet.

            > > It could be A. roseum, but I don't think the tepals are long
            > enough. A.
            > > carinatum is pink, and quite small flowered but has long 'wispy'
            > stamens,
            > > and I have never seen a plant of A. vineale with flowers that pink,
            > this
            > > also looks like the tepals are too long.
            > >
            > > cheers Darrel
            > >

            > Thanks for all the replies. Allium oleraceum has been recorded in a
            > road verge not very far away. I also think it to be this plant but
            > will examine it more closely.
            > Peter

          • Ian Thirlwell
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2002
              The date of the Allium wasn't mentioned in the original post (30 June) as far as I can remember, so I'm not sure whether they
              coincided or not.
              A. roseum went over here, in some 'waste' ground about 3 weeks ago.
              Ian
              > I have had all the Alliums mentioned except A. vineale and A. neapolitanum
              > (which I think always has pure white flowers) in the garden in Kent at one
              > time or another.
              >
              > Touch wood, I have got rid of A. roseum this year - its flowering is much
              > too early for this species to be a candidate. Conversely A. carinatum is
              > still with me, and is not yet in flower. A. oleraceum is the best bet.

            • Storey, M.W.
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2002
                Rodney Burton wrote:

                > I have had all the Alliums mentioned except A. vineale and A. neapolitanum
                > (which I think always has pure white flowers)

                Agreed. I looked it up again last night and
                withdraw that suggestion (neapolitanum).
                Malcolm Storey
              • pucebody
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2002
                  --- In UKBotany@y..., "Ian Thirlwell" <ian.thirlwell@n...> wrote:
                  > The date of the Allium wasn't mentioned in the original post (30
                  June) as far as I can remember, so I'm not sure whether they
                  > coincided or not.
                  > A. roseum went over here, in some 'waste' ground about 3 weeks ago.
                  > Ian

                  A vineale has grown in my garden for many years. I had ruled this out
                  from the start.
                  The photo was taken on the 16th June and the plant went over about 2
                  weeks later. Does this help to decide between A oleraceum and A
                  roseum? It seems to be one or the other.
                  Peter
                • Ian Thirlwell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 3, 2002
                    Peter,
                    I think you need to check the plant out with the details in Stace. However, salient points for A. roseum are:
                    1) stems terete (round in cross section)
                    2) flat leaves, scarcely keeled, usually narrow (4-14mm - mostly lower end of this range)
                    3) stamens shorter than tepals
                    4) spathe shorter than pedicels
                    Ian
                    > > The date of the Allium wasn't mentioned in the original post (30
                    > June) as far as I can remember, so I'm not sure whether they
                    > > coincided or not.
                    > > A. roseum went over here, in some 'waste' ground about 3 weeks ago.
                    > > Ian

                  • pucebody
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 3, 2002
                      --- In UKBotany@y..., "Ian Thirlwell" <ian.thirlwell@n...> wrote:
                      > Peter,
                      > I think you need to check the plant out with the details in Stace.
                      However, salient points for A. roseum are:
                      > 1) stems terete (round in cross section)
                      > 2) flat leaves, scarcely keeled, usually narrow (4-14mm - mostly
                      lower end of this range)
                      > 3) stamens shorter than tepals
                      > 4) spathe shorter than pedicels
                      > Ian

                      Thanks Ian, will do so next year if it appears again.
                      Peter

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 3, 2002
                        A. oleraceum - flowers not brightly coloured, not quite visible yet in my
                        garden, all I can see at present is the spathe surrounding the flower buds
                        and drawn out into a long tail
                        A. roseum - flowers of a good pink, or white, and mixed with a clump of
                        sessile bulbils in the weedy versions, in May in my garden, spathe much
                        shorter.
                        Perhaps the photo isn't either.