Invitation to sing shape note in London

  • mischawa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2008
      Following your kind invitation to post here, I am jumping in
      straight away:

      I am an expat American and "Sacred Harp" singer in London and would
      like to invite everyone who is interested to attend a singing of
      American shape note music on 16 February at the Finnish Church in
      Rotherhithe, London. Loaner books will be available.

      Our events are always free of charge but lunch and tea are for a
      modest fee. It starts at 12.30 and runs to about 6.00 pm, with a pub
      singing to follow.

      Information, including directions and my e-mail address for booking,
      can be found at:

      http://www.ukshapenote.org.uk/calendar.html

      Shape note music is four-part a capella music and is part of the
      early American singing school tradition. It is sung full-voice, no
      vibrato, and the dispersed harmony, modal chords and beautiful folk
      melodies and old fuguing tunes sometimes make you think of
      Renaissance or even older music.

      As a famous Alabama singing school master is reputed to have said:

      "If you don't like it, run away fast, because otherwise it will
      capture you and you will never get away again."

      Hope to see some of you there!

      -Michael