Choirboys documentary begins on BBC

  • John Neal
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      BBC NEWS:

      A new three-part documentary series following the Schola Cantorum of St Peter's Cathedral, Belfast began on BBC One on Monday. Producer/director Cara O'Doherty explains how the Choirboys series came about.

      Conscious of the old adage of "never work with children", I first went to meet the 40 choirboys of St. Peter's Cathedral with more than a little trepidation.

      Even before I entered their modest rehearsal space at the cathedral, their voices could be heard escaping into the evening air. Clichéd as it may sound, it was simply angelic.

      It was hard to believe that the choir I was to follow for the next few months was still in its fledgling stages.

      The boys had been brought together by musical director Nigel McClintock, and his assistant Helen Frame, who together scoured Belfast's schools to source raw singing talent and turn them into bona fide choristers.

      Read more:-
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11615345

      Watch the 1st episode on BBC iPlayer here:-
      www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vjvqn/Choirboys_Episode_1/