The Voice Festival UK

  • lallygodfree
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
      Last Friday saw the launch of a new UK vocal event, 'The Voice Festival
      UK'. The Festival has been created to celebrate contemporary UK a
      cappella, and to provide a platform for singers to come together from a
      variety of backgrounds to explore the power and versatility of the
      human voice.

      The festival kicked off in Cambridge last week, as three university
      groups came together in Fitzwilliam Auditorium to compete to go through
      to the final round. 'Fitz Barbershop', 'The Oxford Alternotives'
      and 'Cadenza' battled it out, adjudicated by judges Suzi Digby, John
      Rutter and Joanna Forbes, and the latter two groups were successful in
      proceeding to the final round which will be held in London on March
      14th - all welcome.

      Upcoming events will be held in Oxford on Saturday 28th February, with
      an afternoon workshop, focusing amongst other things on vocal
      percussion and led by former Swingle Singer and Lead Tutor of the
      Beatbox Academy, Jes Sadler. The evening competition will feature four
      a cappella groups from Oxford University, two of whom will go through
      to the final.

      The other regional event will be in St Andrew's on Saturday 7th March
      where, once again, four university groups will be competing for two
      spots in the London final. Afternoon workshops will be led by two of
      the current Swingle Singers, Tobias Hug and Kevin Fox.

      The final will be held on Saturday March 14th in Wathen Hall, St Paul's
      School, Barnes, London. All are welcome to the workshops during the
      afternoon which will be led by Dominic Peckham, Artistic Director of
      iSing UK and Associate Conductor of The National Youth Choirs of Great
      Britain. Please then join us for the evening competition where the six
      groups who have made it through to the final will sing once more, for
      six celebrity judges, to win the title of a cappella Champions UK.

      More information and tickets from www.thevoicefestival.co.uk
    • lallygodfree
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2010
        The Voice Festival UK returns for its second year! And we expect this one to be even bigger and better than the last.

        The festival runs across the UK in February and March and is made up of a series of workshops, masterclasses, competitions and social events for a cappella singers of all ages and backgrounds.

        We would like to hear from you if:
        * You run/sing in a school a cappella group and would like to take part in a competition
        * You run/sing in a university a cappella group and would like to take part in a competition
        * You are a singer of any age/musical background who would like to take part in singing workshops and social events

        Events will take place as follows:
        - CAMBRIDGE: Saturday 27th February, Emmanuel College
        - OXFORD: Sunday 28th February, St Hilda's College
        - ST ANDREW'S: Saturday 6th March, Younger Hall
        - LONDON: Saturday 13th March, St Paul's School, Barnes
        - LONDON: Sunday 14th March, Southbank Centre - showcase of 'The best of the Voice Festival UK 2010'.

        Visit www.thevoicefestival.co.uk or e-mail thevoicefestival@... for further information.
      • Kathy Szeputi
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2010
          Hi

          this sounds good - any plans to venture further up north? We are in Manchester. Thank

          Kathy

[...]

          Visit www.thevoicefestiva l.co.uk or e-mail thevoicefestival@ gmail.com for further information.

        • Val Muir
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2010

            I think you will find that St Andrews is “up north”. (Although for me , in Aberdeen, it is actually “down south”!)

            Val

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2010
              We want North of England :-) not Scotland...

              I'm near Manchester as well, so perhaps I can find others in the Manchester area?

              Simon

              --
              Simon Grant
              +44 7710031657
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
                Thanks for your messages, Simon, Val and Kathy!

                We would love to come to Manchester - in fact we will create a regional round anywhere where there is a sufficient number of university/school groups to make up a competition, ideally 4 or more. Unfortunately until then you'll have to make a weekend of it! But if the scene in Manchester/elsewhere is growing then keep us in the loop so that we can try and set up some events near you.

                Stay in touch,

                Alexandra