An interview with John Rutter

  • A Cappella News
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2008
      COUNTRY LIFE MAGAZINE:

      John Rutter, probably the most oft-performed living composer, has
      written some 60 non-Christmas pieces, including the respected Requiem,
      but it’s his misfortune or, perhaps, blessing that he is chiefly
      associated with carols. Most music heard this month will be credited ‘arr.

      John Rutter’ and his Shepherd’s Pipe Carol, written when at Highgate
      School, has sold more than one million copies in sheet music alone.
      And this charming, friendly man remains philosophical about his
      pigeon-holing. ‘Christmas has been the golden thread through my
      musical life, but I have gone through periods of rebellion,’ he
      admits. ‘I felt it made it harder to be taken seriously as a composer,
      but I’ve come out the other side.

      The carol is the oldest vernacular form of music and an art form that
      British composers have made their own.’ Critics have occasionally
      dismissed Mr Rutter’s melodic, touching style of writing and arranging
      as ‘too accessible’ or ‘sweet’; many more, however, find it a relief
      from self-conscious contemporary works. Again, the contemplative and
      courteous Mr Rutter is phlegmatic. ‘I think the same proportion of
      current music will endure as before, which is about 10%.

      Read more:-
      http://www.countrylife.co.uk/culture/article/295715/Interview_John_Rutter.html