Barbershop singers set to represent UK

  • A Cappella News
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2008
      Borehanwood Times,:

      A barbershop singer from Radlett is preparing to represent Britain in
      Europe next year after winning a nationwide competition.

      Helen Lappert, 45, and her three fellow singers sang their way to
      victory at the Ladies Association of Barbershop Singers national
      convention, in Harrogate, last month.

      Her quartet, called NoteOrious, claimed the championship in front of
      an audience of about 2,000 people, after singing renditions of As Long
      as he Needs Me from the musical Oliver!, and Can’t Help Lovin’ That
      Man, from Show Boat.

      Mrs Lappert, of Craigweil Avenue, said: “We are absolutely thrilled.
      We have been together for three-and-a- half years and had been
      rehearsing at least once a week with extra vocal coaching and lessons
      in the lead up to this competition.

      “It has involved a lot of sufferance on behalf of our families, so it
      was wonderful it was the first time I had all my family there,
      watching me perform.”

      Her musical talents also seem to have rubbed off on other family
      members. She added: “Both my 14-year-old daughter and 12-year-old son
      are very musical. My daughter has followed in my footsteps by joining
      the youth barbershop league. “I have been interested in music
      virtually all my life.”

      NoteOrious is made up of Mrs Lappert, Astrid Shepherd, Alison Moore
      and Rose Hopkinson, who are all also members of Amersham A Cappella, a
      40-strong choir which Mrs Lappert is also director of.

      Mrs Lappert, the quartet’s bass singer, also runs the Singing Circle
      in Radlett, which provides group singing lessons for children and women.

      The group are now preparing to travel to Holland in March, to
      represent Britain in the European Barbershop Convention 2009.

      Amersham A Cappella will take part in a competition to find the best
      choir in Buckinghamshire, with the hope of winning £2,000 to put
      towards the trip to Holland.

      For more information about NoteOrious, visit amershamacappella.com/
      noteorious