Singing teacher celebrates £1.25m record deal

  • A Cappella News
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2008
      LIVERPOOL ECHO

      Sally Johnson is one of five members of singing group The Gala
      Ensemble, which has signed the lucrative contract with SonyBMG.

      The talented quintet are now set to release their first record – a
      tribute to legendary comic opera composers Gilbert & Sullivan – next
      month.

      They join stars including AC/DC, Beyoncé, Bruce Springsteen and Leona
      Lewis on SonyBMG's roster.

      Whiston-born Sally, whose family come from Prescot, said: "We have all
      sung with each other before, but The Gala Ensemble is a very recent
      thing. We got together in August and it has been like a whirlwind.

      "The £1.25m is how much money Sony is putting into the project."

      The five professional teachers, who also hail from Leeds,
      Stoke-on-Trent, Bournemouth and Lichfield, will release The Best Of
      Gilbert & Sullivan on November 24.

      SongBMG said the singers' previous experience in opera and theatre
      productions made them the perfect choice to front the label's
      high-profile promotion of the works of Gilbert & Sullivan, the first
      time it has been attempted in 25 years.

      Richard Hinkley, of SonyBMG, said: "The quality of singing required
      for Gilbert & Sullivan repertoire meant we needed performers with
      great technical ability, versatility and personality. Teaching singing
      requires all of these skills, so it was to teachers we turned."

      Sally, 30, who studied at the Royal Northern in Manchester and has
      taught singing for 12 years, said: "The idea with this is to bring
      light opera to people, although Gilbert & Sullivan has never really
      gone away. It has a huge following all over the world."

      The Gala Ensemble will perform on ITV's The Alan Titchmarsh Show on
      November 4

      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2008/10/29/merseyside-singing-teacher-celebrates-1-25m-record-deal-100252-22142704/