A fishermen's choir

  • A Cappella News
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2008
      "Through the window pressed the sound of the fishermen's choir, their
      voices strong and silty. It was one of the sweetest sounds I ever heard"

      So begins a lovely recent article in the Guardian by Laura Burton on
      the Staithes Fishermen Choir. She also laments - "We don't sing
      together like we used to. Oh, we chant in the football ground, we join
      along with the chorus at the stadium show, we roar along drunk as we
      wend our way home. But mostly we sing alone, as we hoover the living
      room, wait for the kettle, drive to work. And it makes me a little sad
      to think of how we have lost each other's voices, drifted too far now
      from those communities sewn together by song, where music is the
      thread that runs from generation to generation and from each to each,
      joining neighbour to neighbour, sacred to secular, land to sea."

      Laura needs to hear about all the great harmony groups in England...

      Read the article here:-
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/sep/12/popandrock.laurabarton

      John Neal