Studio dream comes true for Black Voices

  • A Cappella News
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2008
      BIRMINGHAM MAIL:

      Life has come full circle for Birmingham a cappella group Black Voices
      who are about to record new work with one of America’s biggest artists
      in the genre. Members of Black Voices are working with Mark Kibble
      (Take 6) at the old Hollick and Taylor studios, in Grosvenor Road,
      Handsworth, where they made their first recording.

      Two decades on, the band have taken over the studio and created a
      cultural hub at the renamed Centre for Music and Arts Technology.
      After a £2 million makeover the studios, which have three recording
      rooms and a video editing suite, were reopened in June.

      Long serving Black Voices manager Bob Ramdhanie is now the centre’s
      operations director. Black Voices musical director Carol Pemberton
      said: “We never dreamed 21 years ago that we would be recording work
      in this studio, which we now run.

      “It’s a dream come true for us to work with such a renowned artist as
      Mark and it’s an honour to have him here.

      “Once we’ve got over our nerves, we hope to take Black Voices to a new
      level with Mark.

      “He can help us produce a sound that we hope will appeal to a whole
      new range of music followers.”

      Black Voices are made up of Birmingham-based women including Jennifer
      Wallace, Shereece Storrod Sandra Francis, Cecelia Wickham Anderson and
      Laura Douglas.

      The Birmingham studios have a rich history of attracting artists like
      Sir Ken Dodd, Sir Cliff Richard, Roy Wood, Steel Pulse and Jimmy
      Cliff. Jasper Carrott recorded his Funky Moped song there, along with
      the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band who created the Floral Dance â€"
      the only brass band to have a top ten hit. And during the 1960s, the
      soundtracks for the cult TV series Thunderbirds were also recorded
      there.

      http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2008/08/14/studio-dream-comes-true-for-black-voices-97319-21534483/