Tobacco Growing, part 33

  • trebcavxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2010
      We are now well into the maturing, or "aging" process, and the signs are that it's nicely mellowing down as time goes on.
      I've been placing the stock for a week in a warm place, then out in the cold environment of the garden for another week.........then back in the warm. This has the following advantages -

      a. The alternate warming and cooling dilates and contracts the plant cells, also expanding and contracting the pores of the tissues, accelerating the dispersal and evaporation of the unwanted chemicals.

      b. The alternate warming and cooling also assists in the evaporation and migration of gaseous and liquid chemicals in the tissues by the expansion and contraction of the chemicals themselves.

      It's essential though that the product is not cooled down to freezing point, as destruction of the plant cells would ensue which would cause unwanted changes to the actual structure and texture of the stock.