Annual Salutations

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 29, 2013
      Dear U-Zendo:

      Since it's still January, barely, I could say this is my New Year Greeting. But better I should shift the pretense of timeliness to Imbolc. As the secret things happen in the ground, in dynamic with the sky, my best wishes to you and yours, and to all.

         ---Weasel Tracks

      A small offering from the Buddhist side of things:

      Basia's Pearl

      Students of the Way learn from each other as often as from teachers.* In the few years I've hung around the Dharma Drum Retreat Center, I interacted with several students, deeply experienced practitioners, of a variety of culture, ethnicity, age, and gender. Sometimes I'd get a little gift of Dharma from being with them.

      A cheerful Polish-Canadian woman named Basia comes down to the Center to volunteer some work-time, sometimes. She and her equally friendly husband Janusz live in Ontario, and have been involved with Master Sheng Yen's teaching for several years.

      Some years ago, in 2010, the Center's director had myself and volunteers reclaiming space in the garden shed. We thought to give a surplus of plastic planting pots away to a certain local business with whom we had good relations. I asked Basia if she would help me drop off the items, and also see the butterflies the nursery raised and sold for release at weddings. The nursery was a few miles away, so the ride gave us some time to talk and acquaint with each other.

      We talked about children and relatives, Buddhism, and the likely hardships our children will face. Then Basia abruptly turned to me and asked,

      "What one thing would you say to young people that might help them?"

      My mind stopped and I didn't know what to say. But my mouth moved, anyway —

      "I would say to them that, inside each moment, there is a joy like a bright shining pearl. To see it — just stop and look."

      That was a pretty good thing to say.

      ~~~O~~~

      * 'As he was sitting there, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "This is half of the holy life, lord: admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie." "Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life. . . ."'

      Upaddha Sutta [SN 45.2], <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn45/sn45.002.than.html>

    • Timothy J. Schutte
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 30, 2013
        Hi Weasel Tracks,

        And here I had thought that U-Zendo was 'dust in the wind'! It's good to hear from you!

        Peace!
        Tim

        On 01/29/2013 02:31 PM, Weasel Tracks wrote:
[...]

      • Bryan Buchan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 30, 2013
          I love the unexpected U-Zendo emails that float through my inbox on rare occasions, its such a treat.  I only wished to hear from everyone more often.  You may never know how much everyone here has taught me over the years.  You have helped me greatly in learning; that I need to spend less time doing and more time being.

          Gassho,

          Bryan Buchan

          --
          Bryan Buchan
          Bailiwick Media
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 30, 2013
            Hi everybody:

            --- On Wed, 1/30/13, Timothy J. Schutte <kc8hr@...> wrote:

            > And here I had thought that U-Zendo was 'dust in
            > the wind'! It's good to hear from you!

            Fortunately, the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are active both in the dust riding the wind and in the wind moving the dust.

            JK
          • Timothy J. Schutte
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 30, 2013
              Excellent!

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 30, 2013
                I gassho in your general direction.  ;)
                --
                 Lee 李 Love in Longfellow,Minneapolis, MN USA
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/togei/

                 "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent within itself." -- John O'Donohue
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 30, 2013
                  Now I’ve got that “dust in the wind” song going through my head. Thanks, Joe.

                  Sweet to see some of the old names pop up.

                  Pat Stacy

                  Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:36 AM
                  Subject: Re: [U-Zendo] Annual Salutations

                  --- On Wed, 1/30/13, Timothy J. Schutte mailto:kc8hr@... wrote:

                  > And here I had thought that U-Zendo was 'dust in
                  > the wind'! It's good to hear from you!

                  Fortunately, the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are active both in the dust riding the wind and in the wind moving the dust.

                  JK

                • Albert Weinhardt
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 31, 2013
                    Wow! I agree..... it's such a sweet treat to get the unexpected mail from UZendo. And since I have no idea what is the general direction, I offer you all bows in the ten directions along with my gratitude for all you have given and shared over the years.
                    Al
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 28, 2013
                      On 01/31/2013 12:48 PM, Albert Weinhardt wrote: Wow! I agree..... it's such a sweet treat to get the unexpected mail from UZendo. And since I have no idea what is the general direction, I offer you all bows in the ten directions along with my gratitude for all you have given and shared over the years.
                      Al

                      Parsimonious ass that I am, I think I'll recycle your wonderful greeting for 2014.

                      Have any of you died the past year? No? Good! Stay in the Dharma!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 29, 2013
                            Hey 'Trax and All,

                            On 12/28/2013 05:29 PM, Weasel Tracks wrote:
                            On 01/31/2013 12:48 PM, Albert Weinhardt wrote: Wow! I agree..... it's such a sweet treat to get the unexpected mail from UZendo. And since I have no idea what is the general direction, I offer you all bows in the ten directions along with my gratitude for all you have given and shared over the years.
                            Al

                            Parsimonious ass that I am, I think I'll recycle your wonderful greeting for 2014.

                            Have any of you died the past year? No? Good! Stay in the Dharma!
                            Still alive here, but I thought that the U-Zendo had quietly expired. Good to see you all again!

                            Happy New Year,
                            Tim

                            --
                            Timothy J. Schutte
                            kc8hr@...

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 29, 2013
                              I tried to die in 2012 from a pulmonary embolism, but wasn’t successful. 2013 has been fine. Have survived Christmas nicely and am now present in the present. It’s good to know you guys are still out there.
                              Pat Stacy

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 30, 2013
                                On Dec 29, 2013, at 5:25 PM, "Pat Stacy" <pstacy@...> wrote:
                                > I tried to die in 2012 from a pulmonary embolism, but wasn’t successful.

                                Eventually, bet you'd succeed. I hope for more writing from you before you drop your name, but that's my selfish desire.

                                > 2013 has been fine.

                                I spent much of it on my land in VT, where I did so many of my posts to UZendo in the nineties. It was refreshing and wholesome, and energizing, I hope, to see if I can build something there that can stand the winter, with little money.

                                > Have survived Christmas nicely and am now present in the present.

                                That does it quite nicely. I learned that my Berkeley girl friend, met in 1969, died. The sweet lady passed easily, her daughter said. I'm glad of that, but that much more mindful of Ol' Mister Rattle-bones shakin' his scythe out the window.

                                This month, I was also fortunate to be in intimate teaching conversation with two great teachers from the Dharma Drum lineage, Žarko Andričević and Guogu, doing a retreat with one and chauffeuring the other a couple of hours. Therefore, there seems to be more there there in my here-and-now.

                                > It’s good to know you guys are still out there.

                                Amen!