Re: [U-Zendo] blasphemy?

  • Joseph Kozono
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012
      Hi everybody:

      I am also still here.  It is good that we have "awaken" a bit.

      Human nature is the same everywhere.  The Buddhist path is to make us more human and, unfortunately, we have start from somewhere or from some state.

      JK
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012

        We are idealistic toward Buddhism because it is new to us.    In Japan, where most monks only mediate during the 3 years at a monastery that is required to get a certificate so they can conduct funerals, people are more skeptical.   Especially after WWII

               The positive aspect of our idealism is that we can practice Buddhism with a fresh eye.   And our enthusiasm helps folks in Buddhism's lands of origin see Buddhism with a fresh eye.
        --

         Lee 李 Love in Minneapolis
        http://mingeisota.blogspot.com/

         "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent within itself." -- John O'Donohue

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012

          On Aug 21, 2012, at 12:29 PM, richard horvitz <richard.horvitz@...> wrote:

          Greetings all.  Is anybody still there?
          I was really disappointed to see this story:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19325357
          I thought Buddhists at least were beyond notions of blasphemy.

          In certain cultures, certain things are JUST NOT DONE. Personally, I don't see kissing Buddha statues as disrespectful, though I doubt the French people meant it as veneration. Kissing a monk would be more serious. But the perps' sentence was suspended, so the court got to make their point without inflicting prison time. The biggest downside is that the three francaises and others who hear of this may be less likely to adopt Buddhist practice. Or maybe more likely, who knows?

          I have seen travelers' advisories telling American tourists to Thailand never to point their feet at a Buddharupa.

          ---Weasel Tracks
        • Joseph Kozono
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012
            Hey Weasel:

            --- On Tue, 8/21/12, Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:

            > I have seen travelers' advisories telling American
            > tourists to Thailand never to point their feet at a Buddharupa.

            When in Rome do as the romans... when in Thailand... well you know...

            JK
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012
              Still here...after a significant brush with death...still here.
              Pat Stacy

              Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:12 PM
              Subject: Re: [U-Zendo] blasphemy?

              Hey Weasel:

              --- On Tue, 8/21/12, Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:

              > I have seen travelers' advisories telling American
              > tourists to Thailand never to point their feet at a Buddharupa.

              When in Rome do as the romans... when in Thailand... well you know...

              JK

            • Bryan Buchan
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
                I am still here.  Doing well!  We have a Zen Center in Grand Rapids MI.  I am very thankful we do, as I have moved back to Michigan from Arizona where I was spoiled by the variety of their Buddhist/Zen Communities.  I miss the activity on the list as well.  It's great to see some are still around ;)

                -Bryan Buchan

                On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Ralph Palmer <palmer.r.violin@...> wrote:

                On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM, richard horvitz <richard.horvitz@...> wrote:

                Greetings all.  Is anybody still there?
                I was really disappointed to see this story:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19325357
                I thought Buddhists at least were beyond notions of blasphemy.

                I'm still here, Richard. I miss the activity on this list. I suppose that, given that the recent war on Sri Lanka was largely along religious lines, it shouldn't be surprising that some Buddhists are not "beyond notions of blasphemy".

                Brattleboro, VT
                USA
                palmer.r.violin@...

                --
                Bryan Buchan
                Bailiwick Media
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
                  Wow!! Nice to hear from you all! Sort of out of the blue...... Practice goes on. Lee, I feel sad for all those priests who meditated for 3 years and never realized the joy of what they were doing. And Pat! Ominous sounding. I hope you're well now. I think of you often and all those who benefitted from the tapes you so wonderfully shared.
                  Al
                • Timothy J. Schutte
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
                    Good to see everyone--I thought the list had withered away.

                    Tim

                    --
                    Timothy J. Schutte
                    http://www.facebook.com/kc8hr