Re: [U-Zendo] Pros and cons of kapok and buckwheat hulls

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2011
      Ralph, a number of people at my center use benches, but don't sit with their legs
      under them.  They put cushions on either side and sit cross-legged with their
      knees resting on the cushions.

      LA

      On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

      Hi Ralph. I recommend a chair. There is nothing contained in the position on the floor.

      Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 5:41 AM
      Subject: [U-Zendo] Pros and cons of kapok and buckwheat hulls

      Greetings -

      It's been quiet here for a long time.

      I meditate alone (at least physically), and my cushion (zafu, pillow) is disintegrating. I need to replace it. It's a kapok filled cushion, and I'm considering getting a buckwheat hull filled cushion. I'm in my 60s, and my knees aren't what they used to be : half lotus is now painful, and I'm not sure I could even get into a full lotus again. So, I *think* I need good support and maybe a higher cushion. Can anyone help me with pros and cons of kapok filled and buckwheat hull filled cushions and the effects of cushion heights (8"? 10"?).

      I miss the discussions.

      I'm grateful for your time and attention,

      Brattleboro, VT
      USA
      palmer.r.violin@...

    • richard horvitz

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2011

          Sent from my evil, sexy mobile Apple device

          On Dec 5, 2011, at 11:28 AM, "Pat Stacy" <pstacy@...> wrote:

          Hi Ralph. I recommend a chair. There is nothing contained in the position on the floor.

          Well, it *is* a yogic asana, and so has an effect on the body/mind traditionally taken to be beneficial for Buddhist (and Hindu) meditation. It is a "gesture of balance" that predisposes the mind to equanimity. Sitting as close as one can come to the full lotus is likely a good idea. But it is not absolute, and other concerns have a weight in consideration. As you gain experience in zazen, the importance of exact posture diminishes.

          I have always sat on fairly well stuffed kapok zafus. On retreat just ended a week ago, pain in buttocks and lower back was relieved when I found a firm kapok zafu to replace the two buckwheat pillows I had been using. Others much prefer buckwheat. Difficult to predict what's best for you.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 2011
            Btw, Zen Mountain Monastery sells something they call a "mountain seat." You might like to check it out on their website:
            <http://www.dharma.net/monstore/category.php?cPath=104_105&osCsid=b776o34m68o1ncfao5rp3p7om5>