Form

  • Ralph Palmer
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 19 4:04 AM
      Greetings -

      Regarding the five skandhas, just what is form?

      Gassho,

      Montague City, MA
      USA
      palmer.r.violin@...
    • Louis-Dominique Dubeau
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 19 4:56 AM
        On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 07:04 -0400, Ralph Palmer wrote:

        > Greetings -
        >
        > Regarding the five skandhas, just what is form?

        Form is emptiness...

        Ok, this is probably not what you wanted to read.

        It is remarkable that the way you formulated your question mirrors
        pretty well how it could be asked in Sanskrit, almost word for word:

        pañcasu skandheṣu, kiṃ nāma rūpam?

        The skandha which we usually call "form" is rūpa in Sanskrit. We call it
        "form" due to accidents of scholarly history. On the basis of overall
        evidence concerning how the word is used in ancient Buddhist texts,
        "matter" would be a more straightforward general translation. Since the
        five skandhas are usually presented as an analysis of what constitutes a
        person, then in this context "form" is the matter which is constitutive
        of an individual, i.e. the body.

        In the dharma,
        Louis
      • Ralph Palmer
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 19 2:48 PM
          Thank you, Louis.

          I  sort of suspected this on some level, but I'm still slightly perplexed. This is coming from the Heart Sutra: "Form is not other than emptiness, and emptiness is  not other than form. . . So are sensation, perception, volition, and consciousness." But if form is matter, it seems to me that, at the very least, sensation is required to identify form. To my western mind, matter is quite different from sensation, perception, volition, and consciousness. Our recognition of form seems dependent on perception. I'll have to look more closely.

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 20 6:16 AM
            On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 17:48 -0400, Ralph Palmer wrote:

            > Thank you, Louis.

            You're welcome.

            > I sort of suspected this on some level, but I'm still slightly
            > perplexed. This is coming from the Heart Sutra: "Form is not other
            > than emptiness, and emptiness is not other than form. . . So are
            > sensation, perception, volition, and consciousness." But if form is
            > matter, it seems to me that, at the very least, sensation is required
            > to identify form. To my western mind, matter is quite different from
            > sensation, perception, volition, and consciousness. Our recognition of
            > form seems dependent on perception. I'll have to look more closely.

            Let me try something.

            The heart sutra is a summary of longer sutras which talk about the
            perfection of wisdom. The summary is pretty good for someone who has
            been exposed to the whole teaching. It is however more obscure for us
            who come to it without knowing the perfection of wisdom sutras.

            If we unravel the heart of the heart sutra and lay it down as a set of
            formulas, we get something like: "X is not other than emptiness,
            emptiness is not other than X." Even the places where the sutra says "no
            A, no B, no C, no D..." just means "A is not other than emptiness, and
            emptiness is not other than A", "B...", etc. Saying "no X" is just a
            further abbreviation. So unraveling the sutra we get:

            form is not other than emptiness, emptiness not other than form

            sensation is not other than emptiness, emptiness not other than
            sensation

            perception...

            volition...

            consciousness...

            eyes..., ears..., nose..., tongue..., body..., mind...

            [... long list of other elements ...]

            suffering..., origination..., cessation..., noble path... (the 4 noble
            truths!)

            wisdom...

            attainment...

            So it is saying that each and every single thing in this list is not
            other than emptiness; and vice-versa. The list is not random. It is a
            list of elements which in earlier Buddhist philosophy were considered to
            be the basic elements of reality. As basic elements of reality they were
            considered to have some sort of essential feature which makes them what
            they are.

            To take the famous example of the chariot, if you analyze the chariot,
            you will find nothing in the analysis which will compel you to call the
            chariot a chariot. A wheel is not a chariot, an axle is not a chariot,
            etc. The idea of chariot comes about only when the elements are
            assembled. And calling it "chariot" is purely a mental process. That is,
            calling it "chariot" does not entail that there is a corresponding
            "chariot" in the world. In the earlier Buddhist philosophy, the
            temptation was to say that although the chariot is just a label we apply
            to a set of parts, the parts themselves are more than just labels. The
            perfection of wisdom sutras argue that the parts are also just labels.

            When the sutra says that form and so on are not other than emptiness, it
            is saying they are empty, that they do not have any essential feature
            which makes them what they are. That is, they come about only in
            relation to other things.

            Now, it is possible to push the message too far. If we think in a
            mathematical way that form = emptiness and perception = emptiness,
            therefore form = perception, then we've pushed too far. If you send a
            friend to the market for apples, and he comes back with bananas, you'll
            ask him why. If he says apples are empty and bananas too, so it is all
            the same, then he is confused.

            Form is form and perception is perception but they have no substantial
            existence. There is no dotted line we can cut along to separate "form",
            "perception", etc. from the rest of reality.

            In the dharma,
            Louis
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 20 7:56 AM
              On 8/20/10, Louis-Dominique Dubeau <ldd@...> wrote:

              Form is form and perception is perception but they have no substantial
              existence. There is no dotted line we can cut along to separate "form",
              "perception", etc. from the rest of reality.

              Form is not what you _Think_.   It does exist as ever changing processes.   But our intellect can only capture snapshots of it.

              As Nagarguna said, "Because of shunyata, all things are possible."

              --
              Lee Love in Minneapolis
              http://mingeisota.blogspot.com/

              "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent within itself." -- John O'Donohue
            • Louis-Dominique Dubeau
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 20 8:48 AM
                On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 09:56 -0500, Lee wrote:

                > Form is not what you _Think_. It does exist as ever changing
                > processes. But our intellect can only capture snapshots of it.

                Even if the ever-changing process and form are not separate, the
                ever-changing process cannot be called "form." All talk of "form" is
                talk about a snapshot.

                In the dharma,
                Louis
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 20 9:21 AM
                  On 8/20/10, Louis-Dominique Dubeau <ldd@...> wrote:
                  On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 09:56 -0500, Lee wrote:

                  > Form is not what you _Think_.   It does exist as ever changing
                  > processes.   But our intellect can only capture snapshots of it.

                  Even if the ever-changing process and form are not separate, the
                  ever-changing process cannot be called "form." All talk of "form" is
                  talk about a snapshot.

                  Yeah, what you said.  What I said.  It is all Three Stooges Zen.  "N'yuck, N'yuck, N'yuck!"

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 20 11:02 AM
                    Well said, everyone.

                    While talk about Zen is "Three Stooges Zen" (love that moniker!), as it says in the Lankavatara Sutra, sometimes you have to use words to get beyond words.

                    The five skandas are very hard to get one's mind around.  The description I found the most helpful was in (again) the Lankavatara Sutra.  The way I understood it is like this:  1) form/object, 2) physical perception of the object 3) mental recognition of the object, 4) ideas that are generated about the object, 5) storage of the information.  I see this almost as a mechanical process that "creates" both the self and the world it perceives, occurring over and over and over, gazillions of times every nano-second.

                    I may be completely wrong, but find it helps me "grok" the form/noform thing.

                    LA

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 20 3:16 PM
                      On 8/20/10, LouAnne Jaeger <louannejaeger@...> wrote:

                      Well said, everyone.

                      While talk about Zen is "Three Stooges Zen" (love that moniker!), as it says in the Lankavatara Sutra, sometimes you have to use words to get beyond words.

                         You can enter nirvana without words.  But you need words in the "real" world.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 20 4:56 PM
                        On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 14:02 -0400, LouAnne Jaeger wrote:

                        > Well said, everyone.
                        >
                        > While talk about Zen is "Three Stooges Zen" (love that moniker!), as
                        > it says in the Lankavatara Sutra, sometimes you have to use words to
                        > get beyond words.

                        Indeed.

                        > The five skandas are very hard to get one's mind around. The
                        > description I found the most helpful was in (again) the Lankavatara
                        > Sutra.

                        LouAnne, you whetted my curiosity. So I searched the translation by
                        Suzuki available here:

                        http://lirs.ru/do/lanka_eng/lanka-nondiacritical.htm

                        And was not able to find an explanation of the individual roles of the
                        five skandhas. Which passage were you thinking about?

                        I did however, find this:

                        "Again, Mahamati, by the wise the five Skandhas are regarded as
                        thought-constructions, devoid of [dualisties such as] otherness and
                        not-otherness; for they are like varieties of forms and objects in a
                        vision, like images and persons in a dream. As they have no better
                        substance for their support, and as they obstruct the passage of noble
                        wisdom, there is what is known as the Skandha-discrimination."

                        (This is cut and paste. The word "dualisties" appears as-is.)

                        > The way I understood it is like this: 1) form/object, 2) physical
                        > perception of the object 3) mental recognition of the object, 4) ideas
                        > that are generated about the object, 5) storage of the information. I
                        > see this almost as a mechanical process that "creates" both the self
                        > and the world it perceives, occurring over and over and over,
                        > gazillions of times every nano-second.
                        >
                        > I may be completely wrong, but find it helps me "grok" the form/noform
                        > thing.

                        This is in line with most explanations of the skandhas I've encountered.
                        I would add that number 4 (often called "mental formations") should be
                        understood to have an element of intentionality.

                        In the dharma,
                        Louis
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 21 9:49 AM
                          Oh, now you're gong to make me work! I'll look it up and post again.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Aug 20, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Louis-Dominique Dubeau <ldd@...> wrote:

                          On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 14:02 -0400, LouAnne Jaeger wrote:

                          > Well said, everyone.
                          >
                          > While talk about Zen is "Three Stooges Zen" (love that moniker!), as
                          > it says in the Lankavatara Sutra, sometimes you have to use words to
                          > get beyond words.

                          Indeed.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 10, 2011
                            Greetings -

                            In the Heart Sutra (mahaprajnaparamita hridaya sutra), what is meant by "form"?

                            I'm grateful for your time and attention,

                            Montague City, MA
                            USA
                            palmer.r.violin@...
                          • Louis-Dominique Dubeau
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 10, 2011
                              On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 06:59 -0400, Ralph Palmer wrote:

                              > Greetings -
                              >
                              > In the Heart Sutra (mahaprajnaparamita hridaya sutra), what is meant
                              > by "form"?

                              Every time you've fallen on the ground, you've been quite aware of form.

                              Generally speaking, "form" is what is called rūpa in Sanskrit, 色 in
                              Chinese, gzugs in Tibetan. It does not always mean the same thing in all
                              contexts. In the context of the Heart Sutra, the clue which tells us
                              what form means is this sentence (quoted from the English translation
                              used by the Kwan Um School):

                              "The same is true of feelings, perceptions, impulses, consciousness."

                              It comes right after the passage relating form to emptiness and extends
                              the relation to four other elements. Taking these together with form, we
                              have a list of five things:

                              form, feelings, perceptions, impulses, consciousness

                              These are the five aggregates (the skandhas). The basic role of the
                              aggregates in the discourses of the Buddha is as an explanation of what
                              people think of as a self. The five aggregates are used to know that
                              there is no such thing as a unitary entity which could serve as the
                              self. What we call "self" really is the cooperation of the five
                              aggregates. The five aggregates are supposed to provide a complete
                              explanation. So there has to be something to account for the impressions
                              "I am my body. This arm is me." etc This is the role played by form: it
                              refers to the matter, the stuff, which makes up an individual.

                              I hope this is helpful. If you have more questions, please ask.

                              Sincerely,
                              Louis
                            • petasz
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 3, 2011
                                forms come from mind but if you could fly they are different

                                --
                                =====> http://www.zulawy.art.pl <=== <=== <===