Physical advice

  • Ralph Palmer
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2009
      Greetings -

      For the last year, I have done almost no sitting meditation. A year ago last summer, my wife and I moved. Not far, but we did most of the work ourselves, and since my wife was working full time and I was working 50% time, that meant I did a lot of boxing and moving of boxes. My knees suffered. I tried to sit a few times after that, but the pain was great and I was unable to concentrate. I was also concerned that I might do permanent damage to my knees, because the pain didn't go away after I stopped sitting. My knees are better now, but still hurt whenever I do much lifting.

      Do any of you have any advice for beginning to sit again in these circumstances? Postures, "prostheses" (e.g., stool, chair), exercises?

      I'm grateful for your time and attention,

      Montague City, MA
      USA
      palmer.r.violin@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2009
        Hi Ralph,

                     Sit in a chair.   It isn't necessary to sit on the floor.    Actually, after moving to Japan and working in my pottery studio there, I started sitting on my wheel platform, with my legs in the hole where the wheel is. (the traditional throwing platform is a lot like the platform monks sit at, except for the hole where the wheel is.     Since then, I have been sitting on a platform in on a stool in front of my wheel, before I start throwing on the wheel.

        Lee Love in Minneapolis
        http://mingeisota.blogspot.com/
        "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." -- Albert Einstein
      • jeff franks
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 15, 2009

          hi ralph
          over the years, due to increasing joint problems and other body mishaps,  i've 'graduated'  from lotus to practicing in straight back chair, lounge chair, or lying flat on my back-- they all work just fine.  body position can help but mind meditates.  alternate 'formal' meditation positions might actually help in the transfer to meditation in action in the big world out there.
          given forementioned physical problems, i've had success working with 'exercise therapists' to maximize use of my aching body parts.
          karuna
          jeff
          For the last year, I have done almost no sitting meditation. A year ago last summer, my wife and I moved. Not far, but we did most of the work ourselves, and since my wife was working full time and I was working 50% time, that meant I did a lot of boxing and moving of boxes. My knees suffered. I tried to sit a few times after that, but the pain was great and I was unable to concentrate. I was also concerned that I might do permanent damage to my knees, because the pain didn't go away after I stopped sitting. My knees are better now, but still hurt whenever I do much lifting.

          Do any of you have any advice for beginning to sit again in these circumstances? Postures, "prostheses" (e.g., stool, chair), exercises?

          I'm grateful for your time and attention,

          Montague City, MA
          USA
          palmer.r.violin@ gmail.com

        • Timothy J. Schutte
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 15, 2009
            Hi All,

            My knees have been 'frozen'--the joint no longer functions--due to my
            paraplegia. I sit in my chair, and also lying flat on my back. While the
            lotus may be ideal for most of us, it isn't absolutely necessary.

            --
            Timothy J. Schutte
            kc8hr@... | http://kc8hr.webs.com/