Re: [U-Zendo] helping

  • Joseph Kozono
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
      Hi Pat

      I have enjoyed your story.  This Monday evening I am going to start a lecture series titled Yuanfen.  Yuanfen is karmic linkage or affinity, a concept that comes from Chinese Buddhism.  At any rate, may I share your story with my students?

      JK

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
        Joe, of course.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
          Hi again Pat:

          --- On Sat, 8/30/08, Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

          > Joe, of course.

          Thanks.  I also thank the Buddha within you.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
            Thom Hartmann was at our State Fair today and was on the radio
            speaking about health care and food.

            He made an interesting point that our food system is totally
            dependent upon petrochemicals. And we did not begin to increase our
            population levels until we stopped depending upon current solar energy
            and started tapping into the stored solar energy, in the form of coal,
            gas and oil. It look hundreds of thousands of years to reach a world
            population of a half billion, but each continuing doubling was
            happening at exponential rates.

            Thom is a vegetarian, but he recognized that it isn't meat eating that
            is a problem (for example, a deer harvested who has a diet of solar
            powered grass, does not required the petrochemicals to develop that
            most of our cultivated vegetables and grains do.) The problem is the
            dependency of our society on carbon for energy, everything from
            transporting the food to the fertilizers, pesticides and water needed
            to create them.

            This helps me understand why my late teacher Dainin Katagiri Roshi
            thought that vegetarianism was a perverted view. Separating people
            into camps, according to the categories of food they eat, keeps us
            from actually examining the processes of how the food came to us.
            Labels stop our questioning. But when we ask: "how am I causing
            harm", then we can get to the root of the problem.

            I grew up in a rural area where laid off auto workers moved.
            Often to what was previously their summer or hunting cabins.
            Almost everybody subsisted on venison and the fish they could catch.
            Some winters, venison stew was all there was to eat.

            What is Ahimsa? What is non-harming? How do I cause harm and
            suffering, simply because I exist?

            --
            Lee Love in Minneapolis
            http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
              [The new subject line is a reference to those entertainment programs detailing
              the current lives of former TV or movie stars.]

              On Sunday 31 August 2008 02:39:09 Joseph Kozono wrote:
              > Hi Louis-Dominique:
              >
              > It has been a long time, hasnt't it?  Are you still in the DC area or back
              > to your lovely Montreal?

              Indeed, it has been a long time. Gaithersburg, MD is pretty much what would
              count as my home now. However, I have just begun an extended stay at Dharma
              Drum Mountain in Taiwan. I am going to be performing research there for 9
              months and perhaps I will extend my stay to study some Mandarin formally
              afterwards. (My Mandarin is currently very poor.)

              With Metta,
              Louis
            • buffelaffey
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9, 2008
                Louis-Dominique Dubeau wrote:

                > I have just begun an extended stay at Dharma
                > Drum Mountain in Taiwan. I am going to be
                > performing research there for 9 months and
                > perhaps I will extend my stay to study some
                > Mandarin formally afterwards.

                Hey, Louis-D! How do you like it there? I was out there in July for a
                couple weeks, my first visit. Have you seen the water buffalo?

                Maggie Woman Returns