Re: [U-Zendo] helping

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008

      This morning I was driving down one of my rural roads and a truck pulled over in front of me and let out a young man with bow hunting equipment. He started over the fence and off into the woods. It might be bowhunting season for deer, but he was on private property.

      My various brains (according to Joe) kicked up a fuss. My first reaction was a visceral one for the deer and I thought about stopping and giving a “male degrading” lecture. Then I thought better of this for the hunter’s sake, a young man trying to prove something. I still might stop and tell him I know the owner of this property and she would not allow hunting. But I don’t actually know her, just that this property has been designated a “nature conservancy.” That fact doesn’t seem to include killing deer, but…I’m not sure.

      So I think I’ll just stop and stand in front of the truck with the intention of taking down his license number, but threatening an armed man on a deserted stretch of road suddenly doesn’t seem like such a good idea.

      Then I think of the fact that we have too many deer, mostly because people are feeding them in their backyards. Yesterday I had a big doe and her fawn on my covered front porch eating cat chow. She had to climb five steps! Needless to say, every bush and flower is long gone.

      All of this thinking happened in two seconds, and I drove past, not having “helped” anyone except myself…possibly helping everyone except myself. Who knows?

      Pat
    • Joseph Kozono
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
        Hi Pat

        I have enjoyed your story.  This Monday evening I am going to start a lecture series titled Yuanfen.  Yuanfen is karmic linkage or affinity, a concept that comes from Chinese Buddhism.  At any rate, may I share your story with my students?

        JK

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
          Joe, of course.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
            Hi again Pat:

            --- On Sat, 8/30/08, Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

            > Joe, of course.

            Thanks.  I also thank the Buddha within you.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
              Thom Hartmann was at our State Fair today and was on the radio
              speaking about health care and food.

              He made an interesting point that our food system is totally
              dependent upon petrochemicals. And we did not begin to increase our
              population levels until we stopped depending upon current solar energy
              and started tapping into the stored solar energy, in the form of coal,
              gas and oil. It look hundreds of thousands of years to reach a world
              population of a half billion, but each continuing doubling was
              happening at exponential rates.

              Thom is a vegetarian, but he recognized that it isn't meat eating that
              is a problem (for example, a deer harvested who has a diet of solar
              powered grass, does not required the petrochemicals to develop that
              most of our cultivated vegetables and grains do.) The problem is the
              dependency of our society on carbon for energy, everything from
              transporting the food to the fertilizers, pesticides and water needed
              to create them.

              This helps me understand why my late teacher Dainin Katagiri Roshi
              thought that vegetarianism was a perverted view. Separating people
              into camps, according to the categories of food they eat, keeps us
              from actually examining the processes of how the food came to us.
              Labels stop our questioning. But when we ask: "how am I causing
              harm", then we can get to the root of the problem.

              I grew up in a rural area where laid off auto workers moved.
              Often to what was previously their summer or hunting cabins.
              Almost everybody subsisted on venison and the fish they could catch.
              Some winters, venison stew was all there was to eat.

              What is Ahimsa? What is non-harming? How do I cause harm and
              suffering, simply because I exist?

              --
              Lee Love in Minneapolis
              http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
                [The new subject line is a reference to those entertainment programs detailing
                the current lives of former TV or movie stars.]

                On Sunday 31 August 2008 02:39:09 Joseph Kozono wrote:
                > Hi Louis-Dominique:
                >
                > It has been a long time, hasnt't it?  Are you still in the DC area or back
                > to your lovely Montreal?

                Indeed, it has been a long time. Gaithersburg, MD is pretty much what would
                count as my home now. However, I have just begun an extended stay at Dharma
                Drum Mountain in Taiwan. I am going to be performing research there for 9
                months and perhaps I will extend my stay to study some Mandarin formally
                afterwards. (My Mandarin is currently very poor.)

                With Metta,
                Louis
              • buffelaffey
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 9, 2008
                  Louis-Dominique Dubeau wrote:

                  > I have just begun an extended stay at Dharma
                  > Drum Mountain in Taiwan. I am going to be
                  > performing research there for 9 months and
                  > perhaps I will extend my stay to study some
                  > Mandarin formally afterwards.

                  Hey, Louis-D! How do you like it there? I was out there in July for a
                  couple weeks, my first visit. Have you seen the water buffalo?

                  Maggie Woman Returns