The Best-Kept Secret

    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2008
      As I look back, the advice was brilliant. When he told me to do it, I was just confused---about both what he meant and how to do it. You can tell from what you read that I had to stumble around a bit before I found something that worked.

      Probably any part of our lives that still evokes a strong negative response from us is worth exploring. The trouble is that we never want to do this, so the chance of coming up with this kind of practice on our own just doesn't occur to us. It really takes our teacher pointing us in that direction. As far as I know, Roshi never told anyone else to do this.

      Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:32 AM
      Subject: Re: [U-Zendo] Book Promo

      Yes, odd, but it allowed you to sort of fuse both parts of your life together.
      More wise than odd, I'd say!

      On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

      It was such an odd thing for a Buddhist teacher to tell his student. He told me that if I didn't do it, I would never be able to help anyone else. I thought, "Well, if I'm not interested in helping anyone else, can I just skip this?" I really did not want to open up that part of my life to any scrutiny, mine or his.

      Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:58 AM

      Well, regardless, I received my copy of the book last night and quickly
      read 50 pages of it.  It's quite wonderful.

      Pat, I particularly enjoyed the chapter in which Roshi tells you to re-explore,
      your Catholic roots!

      LA

      On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Scott Hutton <scott_1971_h@ yahoo.com. au> wrote:

      I think it means not self published.
      I'm not sure, but Amazon does not require being the only retailer of the
      book.
      Did you get the printing contracted out? If you did, I wouldn't be
      surprised if they had some pretty useful info. I guess it depends on the
      size of the company, etc..

      Scott

      Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger .yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2008
        And that's one of the reasons that dokusan is supposed to be kept private.
        If people heard the specific instructions that people gave students, which
        are tailored to the student, it would be very confusing.

        For example, early on I was quite aggressive in my practice and was always
        charging around during sesshin, esp. on the way to dokusan.  Once, I
        accidentally overheard (through the dokusan door) my teacher say to a student,
        "Let's hear your MU!" and the student replied "MU!"

        I wondered why he never, ever said that to _me_.  What was wrong with me?????

        In retrospect, I realize that getting me charged up by voicing the koan was not
        necessary.  He found it more helpful to my practice to keep pulling back
        on my natural proclivity to be so charged up that, for example, I slammed the dokusan room
        door.  Loudly.

        Fortunately, that stage passed.

        LA

        Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:58 AM

        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2008
          Lee, whatever you did, that worked. The box didn't pop up with that post. Your emails are the only ones that ever do that. I don't have a lot of international emails, obviously, and don't want to install extra stuff I don't need on my computer.
          Thanks,
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2008
            There's always a terribly thick fog to get through in order to follow any instructions a teacher gives. First, we hardly ever hear what the teacher said. Instead, we hear what we think he/she said. Second, we have a hard time remembering what it was we were instructed to do. Life gets busy and we forget all about what we meant to pay attention to.

            Ken McCloud tells about giving a whole class the instruction for the next week:    be aware whenever you go through a door. After a week he asked how that went and everyone had forgotten to do it. In fact, the first time anyone thought about it was when he asked them.

            Third, if we do remember we are supposed to be doing a particular practice, we then have to see how to do it ourselves. I'm not sure if the "door practice" is to get us to recognize how little control we have over our attention, or to become familiar with awareness when we are able to recognize it. Maybe both, but first we have to figure out how to get our own attention.

            This is a lot to get through even if the instruction is pertinent to our particular difficulty. Imagine the complication if we are trying to do something we read in a book or something we overheard a teacher tell another student.

            LouAnne, you probably would have loved to get an instruction that said, "Rev it up!" Then you would have done that and exploded. That reminds me that this week someone asked me if we were supposed to have a sense of urgency when practicing this path. Are we always to remember that we could die at any moment, and to strive for awakening? I think this is a good practice for those of us who tend to drift dreamily through our days, waiting for a better time or better conditions in order to be able to meditate, etc. It's counterproductive for a student who is trying too hard. That one has to be told to stop trying and let it happen.

            Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:58 AM

            Message 5 of 5 , May 8, 2008
              At 12:20 PM -0700 08/05/08, Pat Stacy wrote:
              >Are we always to remember that we could die at any moment, and to
              >strive for awakening? I think this is a good practice for those of
              >us who tend to drift dreamily through our days, waiting for a better
              >time . . .

              Um . . . huh?

              What was that?

              We were talking about something before we were talking about this . .
              . whatever this is.

              I'm still trying to remember the thing before the thing before this,
              because I don't think we were finished . . .

              Whatever it was.