Re: [U-Zendo] china and tibet

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18 8:41 AM
      On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:09 AM, debora <jtsomo38@...> wrote:

      > I saw no anger either....it was just a comment. Its an easy path to take
      > is all, the one toward anger. :)

      Complacency is the primary problem is such a privilaged society as
      ours. We are fat, dumb and happy and not aware of our
      responsibilities around the world.

      --
      Lee, a Mashiko potter in Minneapolis
      http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

      "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The
      land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent
      within itself." -- John O'Donohue
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18 9:04 AM
        Thanks, Deb, for your words of wisdom. Lately I've been reading the Diamond Sutra. Here are four powerful lines:

        "All composed things are like a dream,
        A phantom, a drop of dew, a flash of lightning.
        That is how to observe them."

        To me this means that I can observe the problems in Tibet knowing they have multiple and long-standing causes, and without shutting out recognition of the suffering occurring on both sides, know that the way to bring peace to this conflict is to bring peace to all conflict in myself. Once that kind of peace is established it changes me, my family, my neighborhood, my country, and my world.

        Pat

        Just be incredibly careful that anger toward the chinese is not cultivated at the same time. This situation is way too easy to make an Us and a Them and all the baggage that goes with that.

        metta,
        --dao

        Richard Horvitz <rhorvitz@ececs. uc.edu> wrote:
        The Chinese government is behaving terribly in Tibet. Many people have
        been killed. To top this off the Chinese Premier, Wen Jiabao, is blaming
        this trouble on the Dalai Lama. We should organize people to boycott the
        upcoming olympics, at the very least. China's behavior is unacceptable.

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/U-Zendo/ join
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:U-Zendo- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
        mailto:U-Zendo- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

        http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18 9:05 AM
          Go here if you would like to learn about things you can do and get
          accurate information about what is happening in Tibet:

          http://www.avaaz.org/en/tibet_end_the_violence/

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18 9:08 AM
            On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

            > To me this means that I can observe the problems in Tibet knowing they have
            > multiple and long-standing causes, and without shutting out recognition of
            > the suffering occurring on both sides, know that the way to bring peace to
            > this conflict is to bring peace to all conflict in myself. Once that kind of
            > peace is established it changes me, my family, my neighborhood, my country,
            > and my world.

            If a child falls in the road, do you just gaze at your navel and
            "think" "What a good Buddhist am I?"

            If so, that is a perverted view.

            The purpose of inner claim is to allow us to take right
            action, and not as a tool for self-satisfied justification for doing
            nothing to help. It is what is called, "Emptiness sickness."

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18 9:21 AM
              When Tara Tulku Rinpohe visited MZMC with Robert Thurman, a taxi
              driver asked a question, he said,

              "This mamby-pamby bullsh*t may be okay in the monastery, but I am a
              Taxi driver and I deal with some very violent people. What do I do in
              the Real world."

              Rinpoche laughed and responded: "Yes, sometimes for their own good,
              people require a real beating. But the key is, that you do the
              beating with no ill will in your heart, but with full compassion for
              that person."

              He then told a story about a monk in Tibet who was bullied by
              another monk. He finally started keeping a sword under his sleeping
              cushion. haha It helped change the violent monk.

              Thinking navel gazing, by itself, automatically changes
              the world is a New Age idea. The only way to know if your practice is
              meaningful, is the fruits of its right action.