Re: [U-Zendo] china and tibet

  • debora
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2008
      I saw no anger either....it was just a comment.  Its an easy path to take is all, the one toward anger.  :)

      Lee <Lee@...> wrote:
      On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 7:40 AM, debora wrote:

      > Just be incredibly careful that anger toward the chinese is not cultivated
      > at the same time. This situation is way too easy to make an Us and a Them
      > and all the baggage that goes with that.

      I saw no anger in Richard's post.

      But, you study Vajryana DAO. You know the wrathful deities.
      Without creating U and Them, you can become very angry. It is US not
      THem. in Buddhism, there is no THEM.

      What is more likely is that we allow concepts of "emptiness" to have
      us turning our backs on genocide and atrocities. Passivity or
      despair or is the more likely response.

      What to do? Contact your congressman and senators.
      Don't buy Chinese goods. Make sure China knows the Olympics cannot
      be hosted by a country who treat minorities as they are doing. I just
      arrived in Minneapolis, but I need to find the Tibet organizations
      here. Minneapolis has the largest community of Tibetans outside of
      Tibet and Dhramasala.

      Jean tells me there is much more coverage on Japanese T.V.
      She saw images of fearful Japanese tourist from Tibet being herded
      onto boats in Singapore. They were commanded not to speak about
      anything they saw in Tibet. Japanese are protesting at the Chinese
      consulate in Tokyo.

      We are the most privileged people on the planet. We owe it
      to repressed people to speak up for them, whether it be Tibet or
      Darfor.

      --
      Lee, a Mashiko potter in Minneapolis
      http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

      "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The
      land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent
      within itself." -- John O'Donohue

      <*> Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
      (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
      mailto:U-Zendo-digest@yahoogroups.com
      mailto:U-Zendo-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2008
        On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:09 AM, debora <jtsomo38@...> wrote:

        > I saw no anger either....it was just a comment. Its an easy path to take
        > is all, the one toward anger. :)

        Complacency is the primary problem is such a privilaged society as
        ours. We are fat, dumb and happy and not aware of our
        responsibilities around the world.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18, 2008
          Thanks, Deb, for your words of wisdom. Lately I've been reading the Diamond Sutra. Here are four powerful lines:

          "All composed things are like a dream,
          A phantom, a drop of dew, a flash of lightning.
          That is how to observe them."

          To me this means that I can observe the problems in Tibet knowing they have multiple and long-standing causes, and without shutting out recognition of the suffering occurring on both sides, know that the way to bring peace to this conflict is to bring peace to all conflict in myself. Once that kind of peace is established it changes me, my family, my neighborhood, my country, and my world.

          Pat

          Just be incredibly careful that anger toward the chinese is not cultivated at the same time. This situation is way too easy to make an Us and a Them and all the baggage that goes with that.

          metta,
          --dao

          Richard Horvitz <rhorvitz@ececs. uc.edu> wrote:
          The Chinese government is behaving terribly in Tibet. Many people have
          been killed. To top this off the Chinese Premier, Wen Jiabao, is blaming
          this trouble on the Dalai Lama. We should organize people to boycott the
          upcoming olympics, at the very least. China's behavior is unacceptable.

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/U-Zendo/ join

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2008
            Go here if you would like to learn about things you can do and get
            accurate information about what is happening in Tibet:

            http://www.avaaz.org/en/tibet_end_the_violence/

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2008
              On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

              > To me this means that I can observe the problems in Tibet knowing they have
              > multiple and long-standing causes, and without shutting out recognition of
              > the suffering occurring on both sides, know that the way to bring peace to
              > this conflict is to bring peace to all conflict in myself. Once that kind of
              > peace is established it changes me, my family, my neighborhood, my country,
              > and my world.

              If a child falls in the road, do you just gaze at your navel and
              "think" "What a good Buddhist am I?"

              If so, that is a perverted view.

              The purpose of inner claim is to allow us to take right
              action, and not as a tool for self-satisfied justification for doing
              nothing to help. It is what is called, "Emptiness sickness."

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 18, 2008
                When Tara Tulku Rinpohe visited MZMC with Robert Thurman, a taxi
                driver asked a question, he said,

                "This mamby-pamby bullsh*t may be okay in the monastery, but I am a
                Taxi driver and I deal with some very violent people. What do I do in
                the Real world."

                Rinpoche laughed and responded: "Yes, sometimes for their own good,
                people require a real beating. But the key is, that you do the
                beating with no ill will in your heart, but with full compassion for
                that person."

                He then told a story about a monk in Tibet who was bullied by
                another monk. He finally started keeping a sword under his sleeping
                cushion. haha It helped change the violent monk.

                Thinking navel gazing, by itself, automatically changes
                the world is a New Age idea. The only way to know if your practice is
                meaningful, is the fruits of its right action.