amidabuddha.org - Daily Meditation

  • Timothy J. Schutte
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
      "He, who by good deeds covers the evil he has done, illuminates this
      world like the moon freed from clouds." - Buddha

      http://www.amidabuddha.org/news/03Mar2008.html
      --
      Timothy J. Schutte
      | kc8hr@... | kc8hr@... |
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
        >"He, who by good deeds covers the evil he has done, illuminates this
        >world like the moon freed from clouds." - Buddha

        Reminds me of the gatha recited by the monk formerly known as Angulimala:

        He who once lived in negligence
        And then is negligent no more,
        He's the one who brightens this world
        ‹ Like the moon released from a cloud.

        Who follows up with wholesome deeds
        Unwholesome deeds he may have done,
        He's the one who brightens this world
        ‹ Like the moon released from a cloud.

        Indeed that youthful bhikkhu who
        Pours himself into the Buddha's teaching,
        He's the one who brightens this world
        ‹ Like the moon released from a cloud.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~O~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Thag 16.8
        Angulimala Thera
        The Moon Released
        (excerpt)
        Translated from the Pali by
        Andrew Olendzki
        Alternate translation: Olendzki (excerpt) Thanissaro

        PTS: vv. 871-873
        Source: Transcribed from a file provided by the translator.
        Copyright © 2005 Andrew Olendzki.
        Access to Insight edition © 2005
      • Jakub Jaroszewski
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
          For those not familiar with history of Algulimala: He was very bad man, mass-murderer. Tradition tries to lessen his faults saying that his evil deeds were caused by bad circumstances, but some scholars suggest, that in fact he was just evil, sadist man. When he met Buddha (the Buddha went to him intentionaly to purify his mind), he was converted by His power and become a monk. Some people never forgave him for what he did and attack him badly. He went to Buddha bleeding, with damaged robes. Buddha instructed him to accept this suffering - this way he would burn up his faults in this lifetime and he will never come back to samsara. It is said, Angulimala died not long after this, being the fully enlightened Arahat.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala

          If someone is interested in Polish translation of the article, then it was lately added here: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala

          Weasel Tracks pisze:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:U-Zendo-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:U-Zendo-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Timothy J. Schutte
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 21, 2008
            There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth -- not going
            all the way, and not starting. - Buddha

            http://www.amidabuddha.org/news/21Apr2008.html

            --
            Timothy J. Schutte