Re: [U-Zendo] A question

  • Lee Coffey
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 19, 2008
      Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:
      I have been a member of several lists and groups with Buddhist
      themes, and they all eventually go quiet for periods.
        "Ain't nothing a-wrong with quiet."
                                                          - my (now very happy) dead grandpa

      Is this because practice eventually makes you run out of questions,
      or any needs to be heard?
        I suspect: Lazy... And "needs" needing to be felt  -moreso than heard.

      Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
       I'm still breathing. Can't beat that with a stick.
       Be well budd
      Get in Shape
      Find a buddy
      and lose weight.
      Check out the
      Stay up to speed
      on all things Groups!
      Featured Y! Groups
      There is something
      for everyone.
       d. lee

    • --Michael
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21, 2008
        > I have been a member of several lists and groups with Buddhist
        themes, and they all eventually go quiet for periods.

        Not all. Some are continuously active. On a few there are no posts for
        weeks, sometimes months.

        > Is this because practice eventually makes you run out of questions,
        or any needs to be heard?

        Depends on the focus of the list, it seems. The narrower, the less
        activity.

        > Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
        Anything new? New teachers, new techniques, new insights? For myself,
        every six months or so, I get the thought, "Gee! I'm finally getting
        > the hang of zazen!"
        >
        > ---Weasel Tracks

        Practice is OK.

        No teacher, nor likely in foreseeable. In fact, the more I think about
        it, the more I'm not so sure I'd fit into a group, certainly nothing
        authoritarian.

        Been getting some "insights" (if you will) from Insight Meditation and
        Pure Land / Shin.

        My practice is anything but pure. Seems to work.

        --Michael

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21, 2008
           Weasel Tracks said:
          Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
          Anything new? New teachers, new techniques, new insights? For myself,
          every six months or so, I get the thought, "Gee! I'm finally getting
          the hang of zazen!"
          I've had that thought and the following one, "Gee, I seem to be able to meditate anywhere and anytime." And then along comes a dry spell where whatever skill might have been developed has gone and I'm clueless. I'm wondering if this is age related. You know, can't remember where I left my glasses, can't find my car keys, can't meditate. A brain thing.

          And one of the reasons I don't write is the "motorcycle babe" connection this list seems to have formed with some other group. Biker Chicks aren't my thing, although I'm sure they all have Buddha nature.

          Pat
        • --Michael
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 23, 2008
            Not just brain.

            My very limited yoga practice is the same. Flexible and strong for a
            while, tight as a drum and "weak as water"* at others.

            --Michael

            * Mrs. Slocum (Molly Sugden), complaining about spineless men in the
            classic Britcom "Are You Being Served?"

            --- Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

            [snips]

            > I've had that thought and the following one, "Gee, I seem to be able
            to meditate anywhere and anytime." And then along comes a dry spell
            where whatever skill might have been developed has gone and I'm
            clueless. I'm wondering if this is age related. You know, can't
            remember where I left my glasses, can't find my car keys, can't
            meditate. A brain thing.

            Be a better friend, newshound, and