Re: [U-Zendo] A question

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18 3:06 PM
      On 2/19/08, Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:

      > Is this because practice eventually makes you run out of questions,
      > or any needs to be heard?

      Zen folks are easily bored? ;^)

      > Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
      > Anything new? New teachers, new techniques, new insights? For myself,
      > every six m onths or so, I get the thought, "Gee! I'm finally getting
      > the hang of zazen!"

      Mostly the pots.

      Funeral for my late potter teacher (I got back to
      Japan just before his death.) Us deshis/apprentices played the role
      of greeters, ushers and pallbearers. My first experience at removing
      the bones from the cremation oven. Was interesting to experience
      his funeral and compare it to my zen teacher's funeral. Also, about
      a half dozen foreign students came for the 49th day memorial. They
      all studied here in the 70s, but are about my age (one, a little
      older.) It was great to hear how being a student was back then.

      Sewed robes with Tomoe Katagiri Sensei when I was in
      Minneapolis. I brought my okesa to Japan, but never put a stitch in
      it here in 8 years. The pins were rusty.

      Have also met a couple wonderful JapaneseTea Masters in
      the past year. They are the closest teachers I have found so far,
      having a similar ability at kindness and humility as my zen teacher.

      Back to Minneapolis Feb 29 to do a residency at Northern Clay Center.
      --
      Lee in Mashiko, Tochigi Japan
      http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

      "Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the
      tea. Then you drink it properly. That is all you need to know."
      --Sen No Rikyu
      "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18 3:16 PM
        At 9:43 PM +0100 08/02/18, Jakub Jaroszewski wrote:
        >I don't know why people don't write here, but it smells very coanic for
        >me. Ego-centered writing, ego-centered not-writing. What to do?

        <screams>
        WRITE!!!
        </screams>
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 18 4:00 PM
          On 2/19/08, Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:
          > At 9:43 PM +0100 08/02/18, Jakub Jaroszewski wrote:

          > >me. Ego-centered writing, ego-centered not-writing. What to do?
          >
          > <screams>
          > WRITE!!!
          > </screams>

          Write non-egocentrically. ;^)

          I find that the best writers (the ones I like the most) tattle on themselves.

          I really like David Chadwick's book "Thank You and Ok!: An
          American Zen Failure in Japan" because he speaks freely about all his
          faults and foibles, instead of pretending to be a fully enlightened
          Buddha. He visited some of the places I have had the good fortune of
          studying at here in Japan, and he paints a realistic picture of what
          it is like.

          http://www.powells.com/biblio/1590304705?&PID=25548

          --
          Lee in Mashiko, Tochigi Japan
          http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

          "Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the
          tea. Then you drink it properly. That is all you need to know."
          --Sen No Rikyu
          "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
        • Lee Coffey
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19 1:08 PM
            Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:
            I have been a member of several lists and groups with Buddhist
            themes, and they all eventually go quiet for periods.
              "Ain't nothing a-wrong with quiet."
                                                                - my (now very happy) dead grandpa

            Is this because practice eventually makes you run out of questions,
            or any needs to be heard?
              I suspect: Lazy... And "needs" needing to be felt  -moreso than heard.

            Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
             I'm still breathing. Can't beat that with a stick.
             Be well budd
            Get in Shape
            Find a buddy
            and lose weight.
            Check out the
            Stay up to speed
            on all things Groups!
            Featured Y! Groups
            There is something
            for everyone.
             d. lee

          • --Michael
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 21 10:07 AM
              > I have been a member of several lists and groups with Buddhist
              themes, and they all eventually go quiet for periods.

              Not all. Some are continuously active. On a few there are no posts for
              weeks, sometimes months.

              > Is this because practice eventually makes you run out of questions,
              or any needs to be heard?

              Depends on the focus of the list, it seems. The narrower, the less
              activity.

              > Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
              Anything new? New teachers, new techniques, new insights? For myself,
              every six months or so, I get the thought, "Gee! I'm finally getting
              > the hang of zazen!"
              >
              > ---Weasel Tracks

              Practice is OK.

              No teacher, nor likely in foreseeable. In fact, the more I think about
              it, the more I'm not so sure I'd fit into a group, certainly nothing
              authoritarian.

              Been getting some "insights" (if you will) from Insight Meditation and
              Pure Land / Shin.

              My practice is anything but pure. Seems to work.

              --Michael

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 21 11:12 AM
                 Weasel Tracks said:
                Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
                Anything new? New teachers, new techniques, new insights? For myself,
                every six months or so, I get the thought, "Gee! I'm finally getting
                the hang of zazen!"
                I've had that thought and the following one, "Gee, I seem to be able to meditate anywhere and anytime." And then along comes a dry spell where whatever skill might have been developed has gone and I'm clueless. I'm wondering if this is age related. You know, can't remember where I left my glasses, can't find my car keys, can't meditate. A brain thing.

                And one of the reasons I don't write is the "motorcycle babe" connection this list seems to have formed with some other group. Biker Chicks aren't my thing, although I'm sure they all have Buddha nature.

                Pat
              • --Michael
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 23 6:52 AM
                  Not just brain.

                  My very limited yoga practice is the same. Flexible and strong for a
                  while, tight as a drum and "weak as water"* at others.

                  --Michael

                  * Mrs. Slocum (Molly Sugden), complaining about spineless men in the
                  classic Britcom "Are You Being Served?"

                  --- Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

                  [snips]

                  > I've had that thought and the following one, "Gee, I seem to be able
                  to meditate anywhere and anytime." And then along comes a dry spell
                  where whatever skill might have been developed has gone and I'm
                  clueless. I'm wondering if this is age related. You know, can't
                  remember where I left my glasses, can't find my car keys, can't
                  meditate. A brain thing.

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and