A question

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2008
      I have been a member of several lists and groups with Buddhist
      themes, and they all eventually go quiet for periods.

      Is this because practice eventually makes you run out of questions,
      or any needs to be heard?

      Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
      Anything new? New teachers, new techniques, new insights? For myself,
      every six m onths or so, I get the thought, "Gee! I'm finally getting
      the hang of zazen!"

      ---Weasel Tracks
    • Jakub Jaroszewski
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2008
        I've rebuiled my shangpa kagyu practice, but haven't seen any teachers
        for several years. Same with group-practice. Just internet contacts and
        activities, and solitary practicing.
        But it seems I didn't let go of the list :) And not going to let go by now.

        About the list: sometimes you write something - it's wrong, you don't
        write - it's wrong too. So you contemplate the emptiness of the list :))
        I don't know why people don't write here, but it smells very coanic for
        me. Ego-centered writing, ego-centered not-writing. What to do?

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 18, 2008
          On 2/19/08, Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:

          > Is this because practice eventually makes you run out of questions,
          > or any needs to be heard?

          Zen folks are easily bored? ;^)

          > Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
          > Anything new? New teachers, new techniques, new insights? For myself,
          > every six m onths or so, I get the thought, "Gee! I'm finally getting
          > the hang of zazen!"

          Mostly the pots.

          Funeral for my late potter teacher (I got back to
          Japan just before his death.) Us deshis/apprentices played the role
          of greeters, ushers and pallbearers. My first experience at removing
          the bones from the cremation oven. Was interesting to experience
          his funeral and compare it to my zen teacher's funeral. Also, about
          a half dozen foreign students came for the 49th day memorial. They
          all studied here in the 70s, but are about my age (one, a little
          older.) It was great to hear how being a student was back then.

          Sewed robes with Tomoe Katagiri Sensei when I was in
          Minneapolis. I brought my okesa to Japan, but never put a stitch in
          it here in 8 years. The pins were rusty.

          Have also met a couple wonderful JapaneseTea Masters in
          the past year. They are the closest teachers I have found so far,
          having a similar ability at kindness and humility as my zen teacher.

          Back to Minneapolis Feb 29 to do a residency at Northern Clay Center.
          --
          Lee in Mashiko, Tochigi Japan
          http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

          "Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the
          tea. Then you drink it properly. That is all you need to know."
          --Sen No Rikyu
          "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 18, 2008
            At 9:43 PM +0100 08/02/18, Jakub Jaroszewski wrote:
            >I don't know why people don't write here, but it smells very coanic for
            >me. Ego-centered writing, ego-centered not-writing. What to do?

            <screams>
            WRITE!!!
            </screams>
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 18, 2008
              On 2/19/08, Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:
              > At 9:43 PM +0100 08/02/18, Jakub Jaroszewski wrote:

              > >me. Ego-centered writing, ego-centered not-writing. What to do?
              >
              > <screams>
              > WRITE!!!
              > </screams>

              Write non-egocentrically. ;^)

              I find that the best writers (the ones I like the most) tattle on themselves.

              I really like David Chadwick's book "Thank You and Ok!: An
              American Zen Failure in Japan" because he speaks freely about all his
              faults and foibles, instead of pretending to be a fully enlightened
              Buddha. He visited some of the places I have had the good fortune of
              studying at here in Japan, and he paints a realistic picture of what
              it is like.

              http://www.powells.com/biblio/1590304705?&PID=25548

              --
              Lee in Mashiko, Tochigi Japan
              http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

              "Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the
              tea. Then you drink it properly. That is all you need to know."
              --Sen No Rikyu
              "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
            • Lee Coffey
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19, 2008
                Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:
                I have been a member of several lists and groups with Buddhist
                themes, and they all eventually go quiet for periods.
                  "Ain't nothing a-wrong with quiet."
                                                                    - my (now very happy) dead grandpa

                Is this because practice eventually makes you run out of questions,
                or any needs to be heard?
                  I suspect: Lazy... And "needs" needing to be felt  -moreso than heard.

                Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
                 I'm still breathing. Can't beat that with a stick.
                 Be well budd
                Get in Shape
                Find a buddy
                and lose weight.
                Check out the
                Stay up to speed
                on all things Groups!
                Featured Y! Groups
                There is something
                for everyone.
                 d. lee

              • --Michael
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 21, 2008
                  > I have been a member of several lists and groups with Buddhist
                  themes, and they all eventually go quiet for periods.

                  Not all. Some are continuously active. On a few there are no posts for
                  weeks, sometimes months.

                  > Is this because practice eventually makes you run out of questions,
                  or any needs to be heard?

                  Depends on the focus of the list, it seems. The narrower, the less
                  activity.

                  > Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
                  Anything new? New teachers, new techniques, new insights? For myself,
                  every six months or so, I get the thought, "Gee! I'm finally getting
                  > the hang of zazen!"
                  >
                  > ---Weasel Tracks

                  Practice is OK.

                  No teacher, nor likely in foreseeable. In fact, the more I think about
                  it, the more I'm not so sure I'd fit into a group, certainly nothing
                  authoritarian.

                  Been getting some "insights" (if you will) from Insight Meditation and
                  Pure Land / Shin.

                  My practice is anything but pure. Seems to work.

                  --Michael

                  Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 21, 2008
                     Weasel Tracks said:
                    Aside from that question. how are y'all doing with your practices?
                    Anything new? New teachers, new techniques, new insights? For myself,
                    every six months or so, I get the thought, "Gee! I'm finally getting
                    the hang of zazen!"
                    I've had that thought and the following one, "Gee, I seem to be able to meditate anywhere and anytime." And then along comes a dry spell where whatever skill might have been developed has gone and I'm clueless. I'm wondering if this is age related. You know, can't remember where I left my glasses, can't find my car keys, can't meditate. A brain thing.

                    And one of the reasons I don't write is the "motorcycle babe" connection this list seems to have formed with some other group. Biker Chicks aren't my thing, although I'm sure they all have Buddha nature.

                    Pat
                  • --Michael
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 23, 2008
                      Not just brain.

                      My very limited yoga practice is the same. Flexible and strong for a
                      while, tight as a drum and "weak as water"* at others.

                      --Michael

                      * Mrs. Slocum (Molly Sugden), complaining about spineless men in the
                      classic Britcom "Are You Being Served?"

                      --- Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

                      [snips]

                      > I've had that thought and the following one, "Gee, I seem to be able
                      to meditate anywhere and anytime." And then along comes a dry spell
                      where whatever skill might have been developed has gone and I'm
                      clueless. I'm wondering if this is age related. You know, can't
                      remember where I left my glasses, can't find my car keys, can't
                      meditate. A brain thing.

                      Be a better friend, newshound, and