Re: [U-Zendo] amidabuddha.org - Daily Meditation

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 23, 2007
      On Nov 24, 2007 3:16 AM, Timothy J. Schutte <kc8hr@...> wrote:

      > "Cultivate a friend whose ways are seven: He gives what is hard to give,
      > does what is hard to do, bears what is hard to bear, he confesses his
      > own secrets and keeps your secrets, in times of trouble he does not
      > forsake you, and he does not forsake you when you are down."
      > - Buddha
      >
      > http://www.amidabuddha.org/news/23Nov2007.html

      Bodhisattvas are the ultimate hero Everyone is their friend.

      "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are
      blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for
      you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave
      me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,
      I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you
      clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and
      you came to visit me.' Matthew 25:34

      --
      Lee in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
      http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

      "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -
      Henry David Thoreau

      "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
    • Timothy J. Schutte
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
        Renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but
        accepting that they pass away. --Aitken Roshi

        http://www.amidabuddha.org/news/29Feb2008.html

        --
        Timothy J. Schutte
        | kc8hr@... | kc8hr@... |
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
          "He, who by good deeds covers the evil he has done, illuminates this
          world like the moon freed from clouds." - Buddha

          http://www.amidabuddha.org/news/03Mar2008.html
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
            >"He, who by good deeds covers the evil he has done, illuminates this
            >world like the moon freed from clouds." - Buddha

            Reminds me of the gatha recited by the monk formerly known as Angulimala:

            He who once lived in negligence
            And then is negligent no more,
            He's the one who brightens this world
            ‹ Like the moon released from a cloud.

            Who follows up with wholesome deeds
            Unwholesome deeds he may have done,
            He's the one who brightens this world
            ‹ Like the moon released from a cloud.

            Indeed that youthful bhikkhu who
            Pours himself into the Buddha's teaching,
            He's the one who brightens this world
            ‹ Like the moon released from a cloud.

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~O~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Thag 16.8
            Angulimala Thera
            The Moon Released
            (excerpt)
            Translated from the Pali by
            Andrew Olendzki
            Alternate translation: Olendzki (excerpt) Thanissaro

            PTS: vv. 871-873
            Source: Transcribed from a file provided by the translator.
            Copyright © 2005 Andrew Olendzki.
            Access to Insight edition © 2005
          • Jakub Jaroszewski
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
              For those not familiar with history of Algulimala: He was very bad man, mass-murderer. Tradition tries to lessen his faults saying that his evil deeds were caused by bad circumstances, but some scholars suggest, that in fact he was just evil, sadist man. When he met Buddha (the Buddha went to him intentionaly to purify his mind), he was converted by His power and become a monk. Some people never forgave him for what he did and attack him badly. He went to Buddha bleeding, with damaged robes. Buddha instructed him to accept this suffering - this way he would burn up his faults in this lifetime and he will never come back to samsara. It is said, Angulimala died not long after this, being the fully enlightened Arahat.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala

              If someone is interested in Polish translation of the article, then it was lately added here: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala

              Weasel Tracks pisze:
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:U-Zendo-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:U-Zendo-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Timothy J. Schutte
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21, 2008
                There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth -- not going
                all the way, and not starting. - Buddha

                http://www.amidabuddha.org/news/21Apr2008.html

                --
                Timothy J. Schutte