Re: [U-Zendo] China Regulates Buddhist Reincarnation - Newsweek Beliefs - MSNBC.com

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2007
      On 8/14/07, Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

      I find the whole idea of reincarnation silly, and the attempt of government regulation of any idea...well...silly squared.

               Many Western Buddhist are materialists and atheistic.   So it is difficult for them to understand these things.

                          What the Chinese are doing is genocide.

      --
      Lee in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
      http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

      "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." - Henry David Thoreau

      "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2007

        I thought the Dalai Lama announced years ago that he would not be reincarnating within Tibet's borders. This would prevent China from claiming any jurisdiction over the new incarnation, and also prevent the Chinese announcing they had found the new Dalai Lama and then using that person as their puppet.

        I find the whole idea of reincarnation silly, and the attempt of government regulation of any idea...well...silly squared.

        Pat

      • Louis-Dominique Dubeau
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2007
          On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 11:09 -0400, Timothy J. Schutte wrote:
          > Interesting, and peculiar!

          In a sense, yes it is peculiar. But from a history of religion
          standpoint, what the Chinese government is doing is perfectly in line
          with how Buddhism has developed in China. From the first arrival of
          Buddhism in China up to the present day, the Chinese government has had
          significant control regarding whom would be recognized as a legitimate
          Buddhist teacher, what teachings were approved, and so on and so forth.

          With metta,
          Louis