China Regulates Buddhist Reincarnation - Newsweek Beliefs - MSNBC.com

  • Timothy J. Schutte
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14 8:09 AM
      Interesting, and peculiar!

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227400/site/newsweek/

      Tim

      --
      Timothy J. Schutte
      tjschutte@...
      http://www.geocities.com/kc8hr | http://senseitim.blogspot.com/
      "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam!" --Popeye the Sailor-Man
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14 10:16 AM
        On 8/14/07, Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

        I find the whole idea of reincarnation silly, and the attempt of government regulation of any idea...well...silly squared.

                 Many Western Buddhist are materialists and atheistic.   So it is difficult for them to understand these things.

                            What the Chinese are doing is genocide.

        --
        Lee in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
        http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

        "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." - Henry David Thoreau

        "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14 10:34 AM

          I thought the Dalai Lama announced years ago that he would not be reincarnating within Tibet's borders. This would prevent China from claiming any jurisdiction over the new incarnation, and also prevent the Chinese announcing they had found the new Dalai Lama and then using that person as their puppet.

          I find the whole idea of reincarnation silly, and the attempt of government regulation of any idea...well...silly squared.

          Pat

        • Louis-Dominique Dubeau
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14 10:54 AM
            On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 11:09 -0400, Timothy J. Schutte wrote:
            > Interesting, and peculiar!

            In a sense, yes it is peculiar. But from a history of religion
            standpoint, what the Chinese government is doing is perfectly in line
            with how Buddhism has developed in China. From the first arrival of
            Buddhism in China up to the present day, the Chinese government has had
            significant control regarding whom would be recognized as a legitimate
            Buddhist teacher, what teachings were approved, and so on and so forth.

            With metta,
            Louis