Re: [U-Zendo] self

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2007
      >If the self is illusory, what is it that does the suffering?

      Good question. What is it that does the suffering?

      This question -- paradox about the self as illusion -- pops up a lot.
      Many people seem to think it implies the self is not real. Perhaps it
      is just better to say, "You are not what you think you are." That
      leaves the fact of suffering intact. Not that suffering needed much
      help to begin with . . .

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2007
        On 8/13/07, Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:
        > >If the self is illusory, what is it that does the suffering?
        >
        > Good question. What is it that does the suffering?

        There is no "what." There is just suffering.

        --
        Lee in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
        http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

        "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -
        Henry David Thoreau

        "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13, 2007
          Nobody is suffering? Not one single person?! This is excellent news! :^)

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 13, 2007
            On 8/13/07, Richard Horvitz <rhorvitz@...> wrote:

            > Nobody is suffering? Not one single person?! This is excellent news! :^)

            Not nobody. When YOU suffer, there is just suffering. In
            Buddhism, there are no permanent objects. There is only a dance of
            processes.

            --
            Lee in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
            http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

            "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -
            Henry David Thoreau

            "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
          • Jakub Jaroszewski
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
              I suppose "self is illusory (empty, sunya)" is a method. Heart Sutra
              says "form [and self, too] is emptiness" but it says also "emptyness is
              form". "Form is emptyness" means "self is illusory"; "emptyness is form"
              means "despite of it, suffering is perceived [perceives itself?] as
              real". That's why we need compassion. Sentient beings are empty, selves
              are empty, suffering is empty, but they (beings) suffer or perceive
              suffering anyway. So bodhisattvas must contitue anyway.

              Emptiness is the most profound method Buddha transmitted, I suppose.

              IMHO