Re: suffering

  • ColdMtnBum@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2007
      Hi Richard,
      I think the loop Weasel Tracks is referring to might be summed up this way.  If you are no longer desiring to avoid your suffering, is it still suffering?
      Avoiding (aversion) or grasping (desire) being the operative activators of suffering, if you can be at a place where you no longer want to avoid your "suffering", you have arrived at the place Joe refers to where samsara and nirvanna are one.
      By helping me develop some small amount of equanimity, practice has brought me closer to that place.
      Gassho, Al

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 11, 2007
        Mundane suffering is pretty easy to deal with.    But dukkha/dis-ease is at the base of all things we seek permanence in.   It is right there, in the middle of our deepest happiness.    It is simply a fact of life.

                   What we do in practice is become more effective at recovery:  not clinging or being adversed for as long as we used to be.   But it never disappears totally, as long as you are alive, except in deep mediation.   The plucked string simply comes back to the center and is stilled more readily,  open to the next plucking.

        --
        Lee in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
        http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

        "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." - Henry David Thoreau

        "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi