RE: [U-Zendo] E-Sessin

    Message 1 of 17 , May 21 4:27 PM
      I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
      deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
      trinkets and toys! :^)

      On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

      > Hi, Scott -
      >
      > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
      > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
      >
      > Ralph

    • Greg Webster
      Message 2 of 17 , May 21 6:03 PM
        In my case, I am still the everpresent lurker...

        In the past year I've had our first baby (Molly, who is wonderful), moved 800km to rural Canada, and finally started doing the physical labour of converting bare (if I can call it that...'un-human-ed' is better) land to a place we can live. During this time I've had an reawakening-of-sorts to the wonders this world provides (grizzly bears, salamanders, woodpeckers, oh my!), and a reaffirmation that the shiny trinkets of the city aren't for me and in any case are less shiny and interesting than the trinkets I can't or won't change here.

        Meditation and practice? Yeah, not so much. However, as I shoveled large amounts of dirt on Saturday to make my driveway, with nothing but wind in the pines and spruce for company, I feel a glimmer of quietude that I couldn't seem to attain even with practice at our house in the city. Maybe the sounds of traffic and other people were too distracting for a pure neophyte like me.

        Good wishes to all,

        Greg

        --
        WebWise Network Services
        * Webhosting * Systems Administration *
        Message 3 of 17 , May 21 8:32 PM
          >I will return to the USA just to leave, the next day, to sunny Singapore.

          Say, Joe . . . do you know the Ven. Guo Jun, who is an abbot of at
          least one Singapore Chan monastery?

          Message 4 of 17 , May 22 6:33 AM
            Toys?  There are toys out there????? Damn, must
            have missed them while I was doing zazen.

            On 5/21/07, Richard Horvitz < rhorvitz@...> wrote:

            I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
            deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
            trinkets and toys! :^)

            On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

            > Hi, Scott -
            >
            > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
            > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
            >
            > Ralph

          • Tom Blower
            Message 5 of 17 , May 22 7:26 AM
              Toys? There are toys out there????? Damn, must
              have missed them while I was doing zazen.

              Zazen? There is zazen out there????? Damn, must have missed it while I was
              playing with my toys.

              Tom