RE: [U-Zendo] politics (CHAT)

  • Palmer, Ralph
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
      Kucinich has been up front and public about his change on choice. Part
      of his explanation is that, while he has his own opinions, he's willing
      to listen, and changed his mind on this issue.

      Ralph
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Ralph Palmer
      Keene, NH, and Greenfield, MA
      USA
      rpalmer@...

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
        I don't think Kucinich has enough stature to deal with our problems.
        I really think we should get away from litmus tests and single issue
        candidates. While things like the death penalty and gun control
        probably have a minor effect on society (they are only symptoms of
        larger underlying problems), securing the ex-soviet nuclear arsenal
        and nuclear disarmament and the environmental issues are essential for
        the future of life on the planet. We need to deal with the
        emergencies first, triage, then we can focus on the splinter issues.

        I've decided I have to start spending part of my time in the
        USA to work on peace and environmental issues. One way may be to
        develop a Green caucus in the Democratic Party. We can learn about
        politics by looking at how the minority Fundamentalist got control of
        the Republicans.

        Lee in Mashiko, Japan.

          Message 4 of 17 , May 19, 2007
            Hello, is anyone here?
            this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.
            With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
            Scott
          • Joseph Kozono
            Message 5 of 17 , May 19, 2007
              Hi everybody, Hi Scott:

              Scott <scott_1971_h@...> wrote:

              > Hello, is anyone here?

              I am still here but in my lurking mode.

              Physically, however, I will be in many places starting next week.  I will return to the USA just to leave, the next day, to sunny Singapore.  Then off to Kuala Lumpur, Taipei and back to the USA.

              > this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.

              Sometimes it happens.

              > With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?

              Hmmm...

              In gasshou,

              Joe

              Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
            • Palmer, Ralph
              Message 6 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                Hi, Scott -

                I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.

                Ralph

                With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
                Scott

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                  I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
                  deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
                  trinkets and toys! :^)

                  On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

                  > Hi, Scott -
                  >
                  > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                  > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
                  >
                  > Ralph

                • Greg Webster
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                    In my case, I am still the everpresent lurker...

                    In the past year I've had our first baby (Molly, who is wonderful), moved 800km to rural Canada, and finally started doing the physical labour of converting bare (if I can call it that...'un-human-ed' is better) land to a place we can live. During this time I've had an reawakening-of-sorts to the wonders this world provides (grizzly bears, salamanders, woodpeckers, oh my!), and a reaffirmation that the shiny trinkets of the city aren't for me and in any case are less shiny and interesting than the trinkets I can't or won't change here.

                    Meditation and practice? Yeah, not so much. However, as I shoveled large amounts of dirt on Saturday to make my driveway, with nothing but wind in the pines and spruce for company, I feel a glimmer of quietude that I couldn't seem to attain even with practice at our house in the city. Maybe the sounds of traffic and other people were too distracting for a pure neophyte like me.

                    Good wishes to all,

                    Greg

                    --
                    WebWise Network Services
                    * Webhosting * Systems Administration *
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                      >I will return to the USA just to leave, the next day, to sunny Singapore.

                      Say, Joe . . . do you know the Ven. Guo Jun, who is an abbot of at
                      least one Singapore Chan monastery?

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 22, 2007
                        Toys?  There are toys out there????? Damn, must
                        have missed them while I was doing zazen.

                        On 5/21/07, Richard Horvitz < rhorvitz@...> wrote:

                        I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
                        deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
                        trinkets and toys! :^)

                        On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

                        > Hi, Scott -
                        >
                        > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                        > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
                        >
                        > Ralph

                      • Tom Blower
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 22, 2007
                          Toys? There are toys out there????? Damn, must
                          have missed them while I was doing zazen.

                          Zazen? There is zazen out there????? Damn, must have missed it while I was
                          playing with my toys.

                          Tom