Re: politics (CHAT)

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
      I think the main thing people will be thinking when they vote, is not
      what they are voting for, but what they are voting against. (Here too
      :-) )... and Tony Blair has been notably subdued lately hasn't he?

      Scott

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
        Kucinich is apparently pro choice nowadays. His record in this area
        hasn't always been so good though. Thanks for pointing this out, Lee. I
        hadn't been aware of this. He is on the good side as far as
        environmental issues go, though he hasn't stressed this nearly enough.
        Kucinich is opposed to the death penalty. Al Gore supports the death
        penalty. I find this extremely disturbing. Still, I might vote for him
        because of his strong pro-environment stand, except he isn't running.

        On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Lee Love wrote:

        > On 2007/03/14 02:09:10 PM, Richard Horvitz (rhorvitz@...) wrote:
        > > We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly, a
        > > Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
        > > (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify this.
        > > He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that he
        > > is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only candidate
        > > who opposed the war from the beginning though.
        >
        > Kucinich is an anti-choice Catholic. Obama (I am reading his
        > autobiography) grew up in Hawaii. His father was Kenyan and his mother
        > a white American. He is an unproven horse in the race. The
        > Clinton's helped put us in the place we are, by making democrats more
        > like Repubicans.
        >
        > We had a bad B movie actor as President. How about an
        > Oscar winning movie maker and someone who was actually voted in as
        > President already?
        >

        > I believe our two most important issues are nuclear
        > disarmament and global warming. Gore is perfect if these are your
        > issues. We owe him the Presidency.
        >

        > --
        > Lee in Mashiko, Japan
        > Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
        > http://potters.blogspot.com/
        >
        > "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." - Henry
        > David Thoreau
        >
        > "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Palmer, Ralph
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
          Kucinich has been up front and public about his change on choice. Part
          of his explanation is that, while he has his own opinions, he's willing
          to listen, and changed his mind on this issue.

          Ralph
          +++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Ralph Palmer
          Keene, NH, and Greenfield, MA
          USA
          rpalmer@...

          wrote:
          > > We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly,
          > > a Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
          > > (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify
          this.
          > > He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that

          > > he is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only
          > > candidate who opposed the war from the beginning though.
          >
          > Kucinich is an anti-choice Catholic. Obama (I am reading his
          > autobiography) grew up in Hawaii. His father was Kenyan and his
          mother
          > a white American. He is an unproven horse in the race. The
          > Clinton's helped put us in the place we are, by making democrats more
          > like Repubicans.
          >
          > We had a bad B movie actor as President. How about an
          > Oscar winning movie maker and someone who was actually voted in as
          > President already?
          >

          > I believe our two most important issues are nuclear
          > disarmament and global warming. Gore is perfect if these are your
          > issues. We owe him the Presidency.
          >

          > --
          > Lee in Mashiko, Japan
          > Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
          > http://potters.blogspot.com/
          >
          > "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -
          > Henry David Thoreau
          >
          > "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM
        • Lee Love
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
            I don't think Kucinich has enough stature to deal with our problems.
            I really think we should get away from litmus tests and single issue
            candidates. While things like the death penalty and gun control
            probably have a minor effect on society (they are only symptoms of
            larger underlying problems), securing the ex-soviet nuclear arsenal
            and nuclear disarmament and the environmental issues are essential for
            the future of life on the planet. We need to deal with the
            emergencies first, triage, then we can focus on the splinter issues.

            I've decided I have to start spending part of my time in the
            USA to work on peace and environmental issues. One way may be to
            develop a Green caucus in the Democratic Party. We can learn about
            politics by looking at how the minority Fundamentalist got control of
            the Republicans.

            Lee in Mashiko, Japan.

              Message 6 of 17 , May 19 7:24 AM
                Hello, is anyone here?
                this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.
                With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
                Scott
              • Joseph Kozono
                Message 7 of 17 , May 19 9:26 AM
                  Hi everybody, Hi Scott:

                  Scott <scott_1971_h@...> wrote:

                  > Hello, is anyone here?

                  I am still here but in my lurking mode.

                  Physically, however, I will be in many places starting next week.  I will return to the USA just to leave, the next day, to sunny Singapore.  Then off to Kuala Lumpur, Taipei and back to the USA.

                  > this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.

                  Sometimes it happens.

                  > With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?

                  Hmmm...

                  In gasshou,

                  Joe

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                • Palmer, Ralph
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 21 4:57 AM
                    Hi, Scott -

                    I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                    why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.

                    Ralph

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 21 4:27 PM
                      I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
                      deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
                      trinkets and toys! :^)

                      On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

                      > Hi, Scott -
                      >
                      > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                      > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
                      >
                      > Ralph

                    • Greg Webster
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 21 6:03 PM
                        In my case, I am still the everpresent lurker...

                        In the past year I've had our first baby (Molly, who is wonderful), moved 800km to rural Canada, and finally started doing the physical labour of converting bare (if I can call it that...'un-human-ed' is better) land to a place we can live. During this time I've had an reawakening-of-sorts to the wonders this world provides (grizzly bears, salamanders, woodpeckers, oh my!), and a reaffirmation that the shiny trinkets of the city aren't for me and in any case are less shiny and interesting than the trinkets I can't or won't change here.

                        Meditation and practice? Yeah, not so much. However, as I shoveled large amounts of dirt on Saturday to make my driveway, with nothing but wind in the pines and spruce for company, I feel a glimmer of quietude that I couldn't seem to attain even with practice at our house in the city. Maybe the sounds of traffic and other people were too distracting for a pure neophyte like me.

                        Good wishes to all,

                        Greg

                        --
                        WebWise Network Services
                        * Webhosting * Systems Administration *
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 21 8:32 PM
                          >I will return to the USA just to leave, the next day, to sunny Singapore.

                          Say, Joe . . . do you know the Ven. Guo Jun, who is an abbot of at
                          least one Singapore Chan monastery?

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 22 6:33 AM
                            Toys?  There are toys out there????? Damn, must
                            have missed them while I was doing zazen.

                            On 5/21/07, Richard Horvitz < rhorvitz@...> wrote:

                            I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
                            deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
                            trinkets and toys! :^)

                            On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

                            > Hi, Scott -
                            >
                            > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                            > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
                            >
                            > Ralph

                          • Tom Blower
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 22 7:26 AM
                              Toys? There are toys out there????? Damn, must
                              have missed them while I was doing zazen.

                              Zazen? There is zazen out there????? Damn, must have missed it while I was
                              playing with my toys.

                              Tom