Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

politics (CHAT)

Expand Messages
  • Richard Horvitz
    We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly, a Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich (http://kucinich.us)
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly, a
      Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
      (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify this.
      He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that he
      is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only candidate
      who opposed the war from the beginning though.
    • Lee Love
      ... Kucinich is an anti-choice Catholic. Obama (I am reading his autobiography) grew up in Hawaii. His father was Kenyan and his mother a white American.
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        On 2007/03/14 02:09:10 PM, Richard Horvitz (rhorvitz@...) wrote:
        > We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly, a
        > Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
        > (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify this.
        > He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that he
        > is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only candidate
        > who opposed the war from the beginning though.

        Kucinich is an anti-choice Catholic. Obama (I am reading his
        autobiography) grew up in Hawaii. His father was Kenyan and his mother
        a white American. He is an unproven horse in the race. The
        Clinton's helped put us in the place we are, by making democrats more
        like Repubicans.

        We had a bad B movie actor as President. How about an
        Oscar winning movie maker and someone who was actually voted in as
        President already?


        I believe our two most important issues are nuclear
        disarmament and global warming. Gore is perfect if these are your
        issues. We owe him the Presidency.


        --
        Lee in Mashiko, Japan
        Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
        http://potters.blogspot.com/

        "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." - Henry
        David Thoreau

        "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
      • Scott
        I think the main thing people will be thinking when they vote, is not what they are voting for, but what they are voting against. (Here too ... Scott ... this.
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          I think the main thing people will be thinking when they vote, is not
          what they are voting for, but what they are voting against. (Here too
          :-) )... and Tony Blair has been notably subdued lately hasn't he?

          Scott
          --- In U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com, Richard Horvitz <rhorvitz@...> wrote:
          >
          > We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly, a
          > Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
          > (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify
          this.
          > He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear
          that he
          > is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only candidate
          > who opposed the war from the beginning though.
          >
        • Richard Horvitz
          Kucinich is apparently pro choice nowadays. His record in this area hasn t always been so good though. Thanks for pointing this out, Lee. I hadn t been
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            Kucinich is apparently pro choice nowadays. His record in this area
            hasn't always been so good though. Thanks for pointing this out, Lee. I
            hadn't been aware of this. He is on the good side as far as
            environmental issues go, though he hasn't stressed this nearly enough.
            Kucinich is opposed to the death penalty. Al Gore supports the death
            penalty. I find this extremely disturbing. Still, I might vote for him
            because of his strong pro-environment stand, except he isn't running.

            On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Lee Love wrote:

            > On 2007/03/14 02:09:10 PM, Richard Horvitz (rhorvitz@...) wrote:
            > > We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly, a
            > > Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
            > > (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify this.
            > > He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that he
            > > is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only candidate
            > > who opposed the war from the beginning though.
            >
            > Kucinich is an anti-choice Catholic. Obama (I am reading his
            > autobiography) grew up in Hawaii. His father was Kenyan and his mother
            > a white American. He is an unproven horse in the race. The
            > Clinton's helped put us in the place we are, by making democrats more
            > like Repubicans.
            >
            > We had a bad B movie actor as President. How about an
            > Oscar winning movie maker and someone who was actually voted in as
            > President already?
            >
            >
            > I believe our two most important issues are nuclear
            > disarmament and global warming. Gore is perfect if these are your
            > issues. We owe him the Presidency.
            >
            >
            > --
            > Lee in Mashiko, Japan
            > Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
            > http://potters.blogspot.com/
            >
            > "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." - Henry
            > David Thoreau
            >
            > "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
            >
          • Palmer, Ralph
            Kucinich has been up front and public about his change on choice. Part of his explanation is that, while he has his own opinions, he s willing to listen, and
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              Kucinich has been up front and public about his change on choice. Part
              of his explanation is that, while he has his own opinions, he's willing
              to listen, and changed his mind on this issue.

              Ralph
              +++++++++++++++++++++++++
              Ralph Palmer
              Keene, NH, and Greenfield, MA
              USA
              rpalmer@...


              -----Original Message-----
              From: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com [mailto:U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
              Of Richard Horvitz
              Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:34 PM
              To: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [U-Zendo] politics (CHAT)

              Kucinich is apparently pro choice nowadays. His record in this area
              hasn't always been so good though. Thanks for pointing this out, Lee.
              I hadn't been aware of this. He is on the good side as far as
              environmental issues go, though he hasn't stressed this nearly enough.
              Kucinich is opposed to the death penalty. Al Gore supports the death
              penalty. I find this extremely disturbing. Still, I might vote for him
              because of his strong pro-environment stand, except he isn't running.

              On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Lee Love wrote:

              > On 2007/03/14 02:09:10 PM, Richard Horvitz (rhorvitz@...)
              wrote:
              > > We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly,
              > > a Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
              > > (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify
              this.
              > > He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that

              > > he is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only
              > > candidate who opposed the war from the beginning though.
              >
              > Kucinich is an anti-choice Catholic. Obama (I am reading his
              > autobiography) grew up in Hawaii. His father was Kenyan and his
              mother
              > a white American. He is an unproven horse in the race. The
              > Clinton's helped put us in the place we are, by making democrats more
              > like Repubicans.
              >
              > We had a bad B movie actor as President. How about an
              > Oscar winning movie maker and someone who was actually voted in as
              > President already?
              >
              >
              > I believe our two most important issues are nuclear
              > disarmament and global warming. Gore is perfect if these are your
              > issues. We owe him the Presidency.
              >
              >
              > --
              > Lee in Mashiko, Japan
              > Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
              > http://potters.blogspot.com/
              >
              > "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -
              > Henry David Thoreau
              >
              > "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              >
              >
              >


              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
              Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM
              --------------------------------------------------------------------~->


              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Lee Love
              I don t think Kucinich has enough stature to deal with our problems. I really think we should get away from litmus tests and single issue candidates. While
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                I don't think Kucinich has enough stature to deal with our problems.
                I really think we should get away from litmus tests and single issue
                candidates. While things like the death penalty and gun control
                probably have a minor effect on society (they are only symptoms of
                larger underlying problems), securing the ex-soviet nuclear arsenal
                and nuclear disarmament and the environmental issues are essential for
                the future of life on the planet. We need to deal with the
                emergencies first, triage, then we can focus on the splinter issues.

                I've decided I have to start spending part of my time in the
                USA to work on peace and environmental issues. One way may be to
                develop a Green caucus in the Democratic Party. We can learn about
                politics by looking at how the minority Fundamentalist got control of
                the Republicans.


                Lee in Mashiko, Japan.
              • LouAnne Jaeger
                Sinclair Lewis said, When Fascism come to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. LA
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 19, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  Sinclair Lewis said, "When Fascism come to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross."

                  LA




                  On 3/14/07, Lee Love <Lee@...> wrote:



                  I don't think Kucinich has enough stature to deal with our problems.
                  I really think we should get away from litmus tests and single issue
                  candidates. While things like the death penalty and gun control
                  probably have a minor effect on society (they are only symptoms of
                  larger underlying problems), securing the ex-soviet nuclear arsenal
                  and nuclear disarmament and the environmental issues are essential for
                  the future of life on the planet. We need to deal with the
                  emergencies first, triage, then we can focus on the splinter issues.

                  I've decided I have to start spending part of my time in the
                  USA to work on peace and environmental issues. One way may be to
                  develop a Green caucus in the Democratic Party. We can learn about
                  politics by looking at how the minority Fundamentalist got control of
                  the Republicans.

                  Lee in Mashiko, Japan.


                • Scott
                  Hello, is anyone here? this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet. With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an official e-sessin? Scott
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 19, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hello, is anyone here?
                    this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.
                    With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
                    Scott
                  • Joseph Kozono
                    Hi everybody, Hi Scott: ... I am still here but in my lurking mode. Physically, however, I will be in many places starting next week. I will return to the USA
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 19, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Hi everybody, Hi Scott:

                      Scott <scott_1971_h@...> wrote:
                       
                      > Hello, is anyone here?
                       
                      I am still here but in my lurking mode.
                       
                      Physically, however, I will be in many places starting next week.  I will return to the USA just to leave, the next day, to sunny Singapore.  Then off to Kuala Lumpur, Taipei and back to the USA.

                      > this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.
                       
                      Sometimes it happens.
                       
                      > With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
                       
                      Hmmm...
                       
                      In gasshou,
                       
                      Joe


                      Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows.
                      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                    • Palmer, Ralph
                      Hi, Scott - I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I ve been puzzling over why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden. Ralph ... From:
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Hi, Scott -

                        I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                        why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.

                        Ralph

                        -----Original Message-----
                        From: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com [mailto:U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                        Of Scott
                        Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:24 AM
                        To: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com
                        Subject: [U-Zendo] E-Sessin

                        Hello, is anyone here?
                        this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.
                        With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
                        Scott




                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Richard Horvitz
                        I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism, deciding that suffering isn t so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny trinkets and
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
                          deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
                          trinkets and toys! :^)

                          On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

                          > Hi, Scott -
                          >
                          > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                          > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
                          >
                          > Ralph
                          >
                          > -----Original Message-----
                          > From: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com [mailto:U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                          > Of Scott
                          > Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:24 AM
                          > To: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: [U-Zendo] E-Sessin
                          >
                          > Hello, is anyone here?
                          > this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.
                          > With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
                          > Scott
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                        • Greg Webster
                          In my case, I am still the everpresent lurker... In the past year I ve had our first baby (Molly, who is wonderful), moved 800km to rural Canada, and finally
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                          • 0 Attachment
                            In my case, I am still the everpresent lurker...

                            In the past year I've had our first baby (Molly, who is wonderful), moved 800km to rural Canada, and finally started doing the physical labour of converting bare (if I can call it that...'un-human-ed' is better) land to a place we can live. During this time I've had an reawakening-of-sorts to the wonders this world provides (grizzly bears, salamanders, woodpeckers, oh my!), and a reaffirmation that the shiny trinkets of the city aren't for me and in any case are less shiny and interesting than the trinkets I can't or won't change here.

                            Meditation and practice? Yeah, not so much. However, as I shoveled large amounts of dirt on Saturday to make my driveway, with nothing but wind in the pines and spruce for company, I feel a glimmer of quietude that I couldn't seem to attain even with practice at our house in the city. Maybe the sounds of traffic and other people were too distracting for a pure neophyte like me.

                            Good wishes to all,

                            Greg

                            On 5/21/07, Richard Horvitz <rhorvitz@...> wrote:

                            I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
                            deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
                            trinkets and toys! :^)

                            On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

                            > Hi, Scott -
                            >
                            > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                            > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
                            >
                            > Ralph
                            >
                            > -----Original Message-----
                            > From: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com [mailto: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                            > Of Scott
                            > Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:24 AM
                            > To: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: [U-Zendo] E-Sessin
                            >
                            > Hello, is anyone here?
                            > this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.
                            > With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
                            > Scott
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >




                            --
                            WebWise Network Services
                            * Webhosting * Systems Administration *
                            * Consulting * Training * Creativity *
                            http://www.webwisenet.com
                          • Weasel Tracks
                            ... Say, Joe . . . do you know the Ven. Guo Jun, who is an abbot of at least one Singapore Chan monastery?
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                            • 0 Attachment
                              >I will return to the USA just to leave, the next day, to sunny Singapore.

                              Say, Joe . . . do you know the Ven. Guo Jun, who is an abbot of at
                              least one Singapore Chan monastery?

                              ---Weasel Tracks
                            • LouAnne Jaeger
                              Toys? There are toys out there????? Damn, must have missed them while I was doing zazen.
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 22, 2007
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Toys?  There are toys out there????? Damn, must
                                have missed them while I was doing zazen.



                                On 5/21/07, Richard Horvitz < rhorvitz@...> wrote:

                                I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
                                deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
                                trinkets and toys! :^)



                                On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

                                > Hi, Scott -
                                >
                                > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                                > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
                                >
                                > Ralph
                                >
                                > -----Original Message-----
                                > From: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com [mailto: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                                > Of Scott
                                > Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:24 AM
                                > To: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: [U-Zendo] E-Sessin
                                >
                                > Hello, is anyone here?
                                > this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.
                                > With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
                                > Scott
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >


                              • Tom Blower
                                ... From: LouAnne Jaeger To: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:33 PM Subject: Re: [U-Zendo] E-Sessin Toys? There are toys out there?????
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 22, 2007
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  ----- Original Message -----
                                  From: LouAnne Jaeger
                                  To: U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com
                                  Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:33 PM
                                  Subject: Re: [U-Zendo] E-Sessin


                                  Toys? There are toys out there????? Damn, must
                                  have missed them while I was doing zazen.




                                  Zazen? There is zazen out there????? Damn, must have missed it while I was
                                  playing with my toys.


                                  Tom
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.