Re: [U-Zendo] What is truth?

  • Lou Anne Jaeger
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
      As long as Cherry Garcia ice cream lives on, so does Jerry!

      Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:
      At 11:39 AM -0800 06/01/30, Lou Anne Jaeger wrote:
      >Or when you realize that following the Greatful Dead from concert to
      >concert really isn't such a fulfilling way to spend one's life?

      Huh?

      I'll keep following the group until Jerry dies or something.

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
        At 5:25 PM -0500 06/01/31, Richard Horvitz wrote:
        >I think that as
        >neuroscience makes more progress the issues will become ... more
        >interesting. There is already some knowledge of brain chances that occur
        >due to meditation. It seems plausible that scientists might discover how
        >to cause these changes through some technique such as "transcranial
        >magnetic stimulation" (where parts of the brain can be activated using a
        >tightly focussed strong magnetic field). It is possible that such a
        >technique might have exactly the same effect as years of zazen, but in a
        >fraction of the time. My guess is that most people here would reject such
        >a method due to its materialistic underpinnings. Am I wrong?

        Zazen is not only changing a mental state, incidently changing brain
        structure, but undoing karma. Can a magnetic field change your
        attitudes and understandings, developed over a lifetime of
        misperception? I think the only shortcut is traditional Buddhist
        practice.

        But the only real test of whether such a thing has value with regard
        to Zen, is to try it and see. We did exactly this with LSD, did we
        not?