E-Sessin

  • Scott Hutton
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2006
      Count me in. When's the solstice? Next week?

      Scott

    • Palmer, Ralph
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 18, 2006
        The solstice is at 00:22 UT on Dec. 22, which is 19:22 EST (or 7:22
        p.m.) on Dec. 21 in the eastern United States.

        That's this week. I will regard this week as e-sesshin, and will sit
        5:00 - 6:00 a.m. EST on December 21, unless someone else organizes
        something different.

        Ralph
        +++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Ralph Palmer
        Keene, NH, and Greenfield, MA
        USA
        rpalmer@...

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
          We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly, a
          Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
          (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify this.
          He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that he
          is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only candidate
          who opposed the war from the beginning though.
        • Lee Love
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
            On 2007/03/14 02:09:10 PM, Richard Horvitz (rhorvitz@...) wrote:
            > We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly, a
            > Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
            > (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify this.
            > He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that he
            > is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only candidate
            > who opposed the war from the beginning though.

            Kucinich is an anti-choice Catholic. Obama (I am reading his
            autobiography) grew up in Hawaii. His father was Kenyan and his mother
            a white American. He is an unproven horse in the race. The
            Clinton's helped put us in the place we are, by making democrats more
            like Repubicans.

            We had a bad B movie actor as President. How about an
            Oscar winning movie maker and someone who was actually voted in as
            President already?

            I believe our two most important issues are nuclear
            disarmament and global warming. Gore is perfect if these are your
            issues. We owe him the Presidency.

            --
            Lee in Mashiko, Japan
            Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

            "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." - Henry
            David Thoreau

            "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
          • Scott
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
              I think the main thing people will be thinking when they vote, is not
              what they are voting for, but what they are voting against. (Here too
              :-) )... and Tony Blair has been notably subdued lately hasn't he?

              Scott

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
                Kucinich is apparently pro choice nowadays. His record in this area
                hasn't always been so good though. Thanks for pointing this out, Lee. I
                hadn't been aware of this. He is on the good side as far as
                environmental issues go, though he hasn't stressed this nearly enough.
                Kucinich is opposed to the death penalty. Al Gore supports the death
                penalty. I find this extremely disturbing. Still, I might vote for him
                because of his strong pro-environment stand, except he isn't running.

                On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Lee Love wrote:

                > On 2007/03/14 02:09:10 PM, Richard Horvitz (rhorvitz@...) wrote:
                > > We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly, a
                > > Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
                > > (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify this.
                > > He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that he
                > > is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only candidate
                > > who opposed the war from the beginning though.
                >
                > Kucinich is an anti-choice Catholic. Obama (I am reading his
                > autobiography) grew up in Hawaii. His father was Kenyan and his mother
                > a white American. He is an unproven horse in the race. The
                > Clinton's helped put us in the place we are, by making democrats more
                > like Repubicans.
                >
                > We had a bad B movie actor as President. How about an
                > Oscar winning movie maker and someone who was actually voted in as
                > President already?
                >

                > I believe our two most important issues are nuclear
                > disarmament and global warming. Gore is perfect if these are your
                > issues. We owe him the Presidency.
                >

                > --
                > Lee in Mashiko, Japan
                > Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
                > http://potters.blogspot.com/
                >
                > "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." - Henry
                > David Thoreau
                >
                > "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Palmer, Ralph
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
                  Kucinich has been up front and public about his change on choice. Part
                  of his explanation is that, while he has his own opinions, he's willing
                  to listen, and changed his mind on this issue.

                  Ralph
                  +++++++++++++++++++++++++
                  Ralph Palmer
                  Keene, NH, and Greenfield, MA
                  USA
                  rpalmer@...

                  wrote:
                  > > We now have a black candidate and a female candidate and, possibly,
                  > > a Buddhist candidate for U.S. president. I hear that Dennis Kucinich
                  > > (http://kucinich.us) is a Buddhist. I haven't been able to verify
                  this.
                  > > He seems to be either Buddhist or Catholic or both. I also hear that

                  > > he is a vegetarian, which I also cannot verify. He is the only
                  > > candidate who opposed the war from the beginning though.
                  >
                  > Kucinich is an anti-choice Catholic. Obama (I am reading his
                  > autobiography) grew up in Hawaii. His father was Kenyan and his
                  mother
                  > a white American. He is an unproven horse in the race. The
                  > Clinton's helped put us in the place we are, by making democrats more
                  > like Repubicans.
                  >
                  > We had a bad B movie actor as President. How about an
                  > Oscar winning movie maker and someone who was actually voted in as
                  > President already?
                  >

                  > I believe our two most important issues are nuclear
                  > disarmament and global warming. Gore is perfect if these are your
                  > issues. We owe him the Presidency.
                  >

                  > --
                  > Lee in Mashiko, Japan
                  > Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
                  > http://potters.blogspot.com/
                  >
                  > "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts." -
                  > Henry David Thoreau
                  >
                  > "Let the beauty we love be what we do." - Rumi
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM
                • Lee Love
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 14, 2007
                    I don't think Kucinich has enough stature to deal with our problems.
                    I really think we should get away from litmus tests and single issue
                    candidates. While things like the death penalty and gun control
                    probably have a minor effect on society (they are only symptoms of
                    larger underlying problems), securing the ex-soviet nuclear arsenal
                    and nuclear disarmament and the environmental issues are essential for
                    the future of life on the planet. We need to deal with the
                    emergencies first, triage, then we can focus on the splinter issues.

                    I've decided I have to start spending part of my time in the
                    USA to work on peace and environmental issues. One way may be to
                    develop a Green caucus in the Democratic Party. We can learn about
                    politics by looking at how the minority Fundamentalist got control of
                    the Republicans.

                    Lee in Mashiko, Japan.

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 19, 2007
                        Hello, is anyone here?
                        this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.
                        With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?
                        Scott
                      • Joseph Kozono
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 19, 2007
                          Hi everybody, Hi Scott:

                          Scott <scott_1971_h@...> wrote:

                          > Hello, is anyone here?

                          I am still here but in my lurking mode.

                          Physically, however, I will be in many places starting next week.  I will return to the USA just to leave, the next day, to sunny Singapore.  Then off to Kuala Lumpur, Taipei and back to the USA.

                          > this group is UNBELIEVABLY quiet.

                          Sometimes it happens.

                          > With the solstice 4 weeks away, are we having an 'official' e-sessin?

                          Hmmm...

                          In gasshou,

                          Joe

                          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                        • Palmer, Ralph
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                            Hi, Scott -

                            I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                            why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.

                            Ralph

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                              I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
                              deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
                              trinkets and toys! :^)

                              On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

                              > Hi, Scott -
                              >
                              > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                              > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
                              >
                              > Ralph

                            • Greg Webster
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                                In my case, I am still the everpresent lurker...

                                In the past year I've had our first baby (Molly, who is wonderful), moved 800km to rural Canada, and finally started doing the physical labour of converting bare (if I can call it that...'un-human-ed' is better) land to a place we can live. During this time I've had an reawakening-of-sorts to the wonders this world provides (grizzly bears, salamanders, woodpeckers, oh my!), and a reaffirmation that the shiny trinkets of the city aren't for me and in any case are less shiny and interesting than the trinkets I can't or won't change here.

                                Meditation and practice? Yeah, not so much. However, as I shoveled large amounts of dirt on Saturday to make my driveway, with nothing but wind in the pines and spruce for company, I feel a glimmer of quietude that I couldn't seem to attain even with practice at our house in the city. Maybe the sounds of traffic and other people were too distracting for a pure neophyte like me.

                                Good wishes to all,

                                Greg

                                --
                                WebWise Network Services
                                * Webhosting * Systems Administration *
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 21, 2007
                                  >I will return to the USA just to leave, the next day, to sunny Singapore.

                                  Say, Joe . . . do you know the Ven. Guo Jun, who is an abbot of at
                                  least one Singapore Chan monastery?

                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 22, 2007
                                    Toys?  There are toys out there????? Damn, must
                                    have missed them while I was doing zazen.

                                    On 5/21/07, Richard Horvitz < rhorvitz@...> wrote:

                                    I fear that members of our group have lost enthusiasm with Buddhism,
                                    deciding that suffering isn't so bad after all if you can accumulate shiny
                                    trinkets and toys! :^)

                                    On Mon, 21 May 2007, Palmer, Ralph wrote:

                                    > Hi, Scott -
                                    >
                                    > I hope so! I miss the chatter from the group. I've been puzzling over
                                    > why it went silent; seemed sort of sudden.
                                    >
                                    > Ralph

                                  • Tom Blower
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 22, 2007
                                      Toys? There are toys out there????? Damn, must
                                      have missed them while I was doing zazen.

                                      Zazen? There is zazen out there????? Damn, must have missed it while I was
                                      playing with my toys.

                                      Tom